Big Block Dart Forums banner

tranny temp gauge

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  5258 
#1 ·
where should i put the sending unit for the tranny temp gauge on my 727?
on the cooler lines coming back from the cooler or going to the cooler or in the pan or is there a better spot?

#7 ·
Personally I have mine on the line going to the cooler.. but I think most of the trans temp estimates you hear out there are based on the temp in the pan. I would have put mine in the pan if I could weld aluminum.

Either way, if you know what's normal for your trans and where you have the sending unit, you can effectively keep an eye to see that the temps aren't unusually high.

#8 ·
The temps vary too much from pan to exiting line. ALL and I do say all the performance diesel upgrades that we did would get a trans temp gauge. Sometimes we had to replace the stock line with one that had a port for mounting the gauge probe. We found that the temps in the pan were cooler in comparrision to the line heading to the cooler. The probe for the gauge was approx. 1.5" outside of the transmission.
My vote would be for the exiting line...

Rick

#10 ·
I thought the line exiting the trans till I read all the replies. The fluid exits all the ports and lubrication points, where I thought it would be hottest, and this is the temp that the clutches and seals would see, and dumps into the pan. Take the temperature there? That's where it gets picked up by the pump. The pumping process heats it up some. On the hydraulic pumps at work, starting with cold fluid, the lines get too hot to touch really fast, so I don't think this temp increase would be insignificant. It then exits the trans, goes to the cooler, back to the trans, and out to where it needs to go. How does the fluid leave the torque converter? Isn't that the greatest source of heat? Is the fluid constantly circulated through it? I've seen Toyota 4X4s with a trans temp idiot light. I wonder where they put the sensor?

#12 ·
sunsetdart said:
I have mine in the return line back to the trans from the cooler. I figure you want to know what temp the fluid is going back into the trans. You want to gauge the temp of the fluid, not the metal.
Any pics or suggestions of how you plumbed that, fixing to tackle this project.

Thanks
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.