My Completed 440 for my 68 Dodge Dart
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What do you think is causing my valve train noise?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Valve spring coil bind/ .580 lift

5 20.00%
  • Roller lifters (second set now Comp Cams)

6 24.00%
  • Retainers hitting the valve seal

3 12.00%
  • 440 Sources Springs

11 44.00%
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast

Thread: My Completed 440 for my 68 Dodge Dart

Post Thanks / Like

I stepped up.

I wish I would have stroked this motor but it will still spin the tires as much as I want to do it. I did step up to the Milodon external oiling setup. This weekend I stepped up a new oil pan also. It will be here on Tuesday. I got the new external pump mounted today along with the motor mounts. Three bolts on each side were loose when I removed the old motor. I used some blue locktite this time.

Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

1968 Dodge Dart 440 Big Block, Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads, Performer RPM intake, Holley 770 CFM Street Avenger, .541/.538 lift hydraulic roller cam, Harland Sharp 1.6 Ratio Roller Rockers..Crane Roller lifters..580 Final lift, MSD pro-billet distributor, MSD ignition, 355 Auburn Suregrip 8 3/4 rear end.

1977 Dodge Aspen R/T...318...4 speed tranny with 355 gears in a 8 1/4" rear.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

I got my Milodon Oil pan

I got my Milodon external oiling Oil pan on Tuesday. The An-12 hole was spot on for the An-12 bulkhead fitting and 440 Source billet static pickup. I took two fender washers and used them to stiffen the pan at the fitting. I got some An fitting wrenches from Smiley Racing which is mostly Chebby stuff but they are close and have fittings and braided hose that I need. I got it all connected and filled up with water tonight. My fat cat want's to drink the water out of it. I have it setting on a large piece of card board tonight to check for leaks.

Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

1968 Dodge Dart 440 Big Block, Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads, Performer RPM intake, Holley 770 CFM Street Avenger, .541/.538 lift hydraulic roller cam, Harland Sharp 1.6 Ratio Roller Rockers..Crane Roller lifters..580 Final lift, MSD pro-billet distributor, MSD ignition, 355 Auburn Suregrip 8 3/4 rear end.

Post Thanks / Like
    that is a swet oiling system, i'm gonna have to get one

5. Thanks bremereric thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got the oil pan on tonight. I used the Fel-Pro Performance steel shim pan gaskets. I don't want to have to pry it off if it has to come off when I lower the motor in. These gaskets remind me of the perma-torque gaskets.

Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    Well this as far as I have gotten. I did manage to finish the external oil line. I will try to get the valve train installed and set up this weekend.

Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally got the valvetrain installed and five quarts of oil with no leaks. But sorry to say that's as far as I got. Next to pump up the lifters and set the pre-load.

Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    My 18 vdc Dewalt struggled last night so I charged the battery and got the lifters pumped up. I got home late tonight so all I was able to do was try the new dropdown air cleaner base on and snapped a couple of pics. Everything seems to clear. Remember I am going back to my stock hood.

Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    >>>I stay at 1 then 3 then 5 and so forth.....I wait for the intake valve to open on the compression stroke and then close...I rotate it a bit more to make sure both lifters are on the smallest part of the cam lobe then adjust the intake and exhaust on them same cylinder....it has always worked before....<<<<

Eric, if you're still having trouble with valve noise try this. That method you outlined is not good for non-stock cams. Use the EO/IC. start with #1, turn the engine till the exhaust valve just starts to open, adjust the intake. It will be very close to the center of the base circle. Turn the engine till the intake valve opens all the way and starts to close, adjust the exhaust. This position will have the exhaust close to the center of the base circle.

Faster is to start on #1, turn till exhaust starting to open, adjust the intake. Then since we know that it's a 90 V-8 and a valve event happens every 90 of rotation, turn the engine 1/4 turn, you'll see the #8 exhaust valve starting to open, adjust the #8 intake. Each 1/4 turn of the engine will have the exhaust valve of the next cylinder of the firing order starting to open. work your way through the firing order till you get back to #1. turn till the #1 intake opens and starts to close, adjust the exhaust. give 1/4 turn, you'll see the #8 intake starting to close. And so on through the firing order. As a sanity check inspect the adjusters, all should have about the same amount of thread showing. Depending on the cam all the intakes might be higher than all the exhausts or vice-versa, but there shouldn't be any oddballs.

The good part of this method is that it locates the lifter close to the center of the base circle, so it's not critical if you don't get exactly 1/4 turn. Just right for remote starter buttons. If it's still on the stand use the bolt in the front of the crank.

I read the whole thread, you must have the patience of a saint. After some of the stuff you've gone through with cruddy parts and whatnot there'd be holes all over the walls of my shop.
    Last edited by tmoble; 04-26-2012 at 01:43 AM. Reason: imagudspelr

Post Thanks / Like

Spent some more time this Sunday

I had the lifters all pumped up so I rotated the motor and did one set of valves at a time on the driver's side then finished the pre-load adjustments on the passenger side. I stripped paint off of the water pump housing and the valve covers. I then mocked just about everything up to make sure the intake manifold was good and all my stainless fasteners were going to work. I also got my 80 amp Nippon Denso alternator mocked up. The valve covers go to my chrome person for the minimum of polishing or the maximum of chrome tomorrow. The valley tray and water pump and housing are still going hemi orange. I am staying with mechanical water pump this time and mechanical fan at first.

Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    We can all learn from you build quality Eric its' nice too see this come together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
    We can all learn from you build quality Eric its' nice too see this come together.
    Thanks, I am pretty much at a stall right now.
    Valve covers are getting polished and headers are getting re-coated and polished.
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my valve covers back this Friday. It's hard to take pics of shiny stuff.

Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my headers back today from Polydyn here in Houston. Real close to my house at Jones Road and FM1960. They do all kinds of neat engine coatings and of course they do headers. http://www.polydyn.com/

Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you use a oil pump gasket between the oil pump and the block.
    it takes a mopar to catch a mopar

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DODGE View Post
    Did you use a oil pump gasket between the oil pump and the block.
    Nope the Millodon pump is O ring sealed against the block and the pump cover.
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine put one on anyway will it leak.
    it takes a mopar to catch a mopar

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much done with the motor. I already mocked up the alternator so that's why I didn't add anymore weight to the engine stand. I got the aluminum water neck polished up today. I will work on the new fan module tomorrow and will actually make a trip to where the Dart is. I took a 5 day mini vacation to get some work done on it.

Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    all i can say is SWEET!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vorstang View Post
    all i can say is SWEET!
    Thanks, another setback is when I wan't to replace the old steel brake lines from the distribution block to the master cylinder. I rounded off the on 3/8" flare nut so here comes all new stainless steel lines for front and back and a new block and holdoff valve for the rear. I got most of it installed and recieved the wrong pieces for the rear cause I have a 1970 or newer 8 3/4" rear end. Waiting again to get the right rear lines from Inline Tube.
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    That motor is puurrrrrrrty!