Copper collector gaskets
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Copper collector gaskets

Post Thanks / Like

Copper collector gaskets

I have finished my exhaust system and was about to bolt up the exhaust pipe reducer to the header collector when I noticed the Mr. Gasket copper gasket is different. One side is smooth and the other has a raised ring. Does it matter which way it goes I am thinking it does. Does the ring go against the smooth reducer or the header collector flange. They are Headman headers and the flange turns on the header collector. Jack

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Lab View Post
    I have finished my exhaust system and was about to bolt up the exhaust pipe reducer to the header collector when I noticed the Mr. Gasket copper gasket is different. One side is smooth and the other has a raised ring. Does it matter which way it goes I am thinking it does. Does the ring go against the smooth reducer or the header collector flange. They are Headman headers and the flange turns on the header collector. Jack
    I have not used them but I don't think it matters which side faces which...the ring holds several layers together until you tighten it up and collaspe it...
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

1968 Dodge Dart 440 Big Block, Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads, Performer RPM intake, Holley 770 CFM Street Avenger, .541/.538 lift hydraulic roller cam, Harland Sharp 1.6 Ratio Roller Rockers..Crane Roller lifters..580 Final lift, MSD pro-billet distributor, MSD ignition, 355 Auburn Suregrip 8 3/4 rear end.

1977 Dodge Aspen R/T...318...4 speed tranny with 355 gears in a 8 1/4" rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bremereric View Post
    .the ring holds several layers together until you tighten it up and collaspe it...
    Not sure what you mean, it's a solid copper gasket. You may be right, it may not matter which way it goes. I may take my best guess. I have a 50/50 chance it will be right. I figured that it must have that raised ring for a reason. Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't jack with the copper gaskets for your collectors. I have never had any luck with them. I just usually use the regular composite ones. the copper ones don't crush enough and you end up bending things, then it really gets hard to seal up. Same with the copper exhaust manifold gaskets.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told the fiber gaskets are always blowing out and the copper gaskets are the answer, reuseable too. Now, I am kinda thinking about using the fiber gasket along with the copper ones. Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    The copper ones I had didn't blow out, they weren't soft enough and I had lots of little annoying leaks. Tried to tighten them after they had been hot a couple of times to stop the leaks, figured they would soften up some more. Couldn't get it to work. Switched back to the fiber ones and they crushed enough to seal up with no leaks. Could just be my cheapo headers though. The copper ones might work for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to Tube Technologies Incorporated or TTI and get their gaskets they have them for 2 1/2 2 hole collectors....3" 3 hole collectors and so forth...
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

1968 Dodge Dart 440 Big Block, Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads, Performer RPM intake, Holley 770 CFM Street Avenger, .541/.538 lift hydraulic roller cam, Harland Sharp 1.6 Ratio Roller Rockers..Crane Roller lifters..580 Final lift, MSD pro-billet distributor, MSD ignition, 355 Auburn Suregrip 8 3/4 rear end.

1977 Dodge Aspen R/T...318...4 speed tranny with 355 gears in a 8 1/4" rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    I alway use the copper ones with the raised ring (for me I dont worry about the orienetation) along with a bead of orange permatex high temp on both sides. Never leaks! Good luck! Andrew
    [img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpatel View Post
    I alway use the copper ones with the raised ring (for me I dont worry about the orienetation) along with a bead of orange permatex high temp on both sides. Never leaks! Good luck! Andrew
    That's a great idea about the high temp permatex. Why didn't I think about that. Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the thick aluminum ones. They don't leak and can be reused. I've had no luck with the copper ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    i use the embossed o ring copper collector and header gaskets. either copper coat or a very light film of high temp sealant. i tried the percys aluminum collector gaskets and i had to put a big bead on them still didnt really work.

Post Thanks / Like
    www.remflex.com are the best exhaust gaskets I have ever used.

Post Thanks / Like
    i used copper in the past and those gaskets sucked.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the coppers only on the collectors and the cut outs.Had them on my TTIs at the head and they leaked like a sieve.No leaks at the collectors and they have been on and off a lot.Just bolt them on as Ive found the embossing dosent matter how its installed.Rocky
    Harleys and Mopars.If god made better he kept it.