Big Block Dart Forums banner

Copper collector gaskets

17K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  therocks 
#1 ·
I have finished my exhaust system and was about to bolt up the exhaust pipe reducer to the header collector when I noticed the Mr. Gasket copper gasket is different. One side is smooth and the other has a raised ring. Does it matter which way it goes ??? I am thinking it does. Does the ring go against the smooth reducer or the header collector flange. They are Headman headers and the flange turns on the header collector. Jack

#2 ·
I have not used them but I don't think it matters which side faces which...the ring holds several layers together until you tighten it up and collaspe it...

#4 ·
I wouldn't jack with the copper gaskets for your collectors. I have never had any luck with them. I just usually use the regular composite ones. the copper ones don't crush enough and you end up bending things, then it really gets hard to seal up. Same with the copper exhaust manifold gaskets.

#6 ·
The copper ones I had didn't blow out, they weren't soft enough and I had lots of little annoying leaks. Tried to tighten them after they had been hot a couple of times to stop the leaks, figured they would soften up some more. Couldn't get it to work. Switched back to the fiber ones and they crushed enough to seal up with no leaks. Could just be my cheapo headers though. The copper ones might work for you.

#7 ·
Go to Tube Technologies Incorporated or TTI and get their gaskets they have them for 2 1/2 2 hole collectors....3" 3 hole collectors and so forth...

#14 ·
I use the coppers only on the collectors and the cut outs.Had them on my TTIs at the head and they leaked like a sieve.No leaks at the collectors and they have been on and off a lot.Just bolt them on as Ive found the embossing dosent matter how its installed.Rocky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.