Need help with 727 torqueflite transmission problems...
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with 727 torqueflite transmission problems...

Post Thanks / Like

Question Need help with 727 torqueflite transmission problems...

I have a 727 tranny that a buddy of a buddy built for me and I was his assistent...we put in a bolt in roller sprag unit and a B&M shift kit and clutch kit....I finally got my engine running and on the first cruise when it shift to 3rd gear it started making a terrible grinding noise...I pulled over and found the noise to be coming from the tranny...oh well I went slow and made it home...the noise stopped before I got home....my kickdown lever is held forward by a spring at the bottom and the Lokar setup up top......

got any clues please post them...my speedometer is not working also...the gear, cable and head are all good...thanks in advance

Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

1968 Dodge Dart 440 Big Block, Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads, Performer RPM intake, Holley 770 CFM Street Avenger, .541/.538 lift hydraulic roller cam, Harland Sharp 1.6 Ratio Roller Rockers..Crane Roller lifters..580 Final lift, MSD pro-billet distributor, MSD ignition, 355 Auburn Suregrip 8 3/4 rear end.

1977 Dodge Aspen R/T...318...4 speed tranny with 355 gears in a 8 1/4" rear.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

BBD GOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    no tellin what it may be but you might consider draining the fluid. sit it in the sunlite and see if it's metalic. next pull the pan and have a look see.
    Last edited by bOb shingler; 05-27-2010 at 04:43 AM.
    "bOb Built" (no matter how many times it takes)

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my new transmission being built by Rick with A&A transmssions...he explained a lot of details to me that I was unaware of...especially what would trash your roller sprag unit...on my setup he told me to manually shift into first gear to lock the band and start my burn out and shift to second...this keeps it off of the roller sprag...he also said the Lokar stuff was made for Chevy's and not Mopars...I read through Bouchellon's cable kickdown instructions and will check my cable travel tonight..they said it should be between 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" total travel from idle to WOT...mine was shifting in auto from first to second gear when I was driving around the neighborhood..when I got to about 40 mph it shifted into 3rd then trashed the 3rd gear..
    Last edited by bremereric; 06-07-2010 at 11:57 PM.
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

1968 Dodge Dart 440 Big Block, Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads, Performer RPM intake, Holley 770 CFM Street Avenger, .541/.538 lift hydraulic roller cam, Harland Sharp 1.6 Ratio Roller Rockers..Crane Roller lifters..580 Final lift, MSD pro-billet distributor, MSD ignition, 355 Auburn Suregrip 8 3/4 rear end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my invoice and bill of lading from Rick with A&A Transmissions today

Let me start by thanking Rick Allison for an expedited tranny build with great parts..The couple of reasons I picked them to build it...I have always heard great things about them..I have bought several parts from them before and they were great...he only builds Mopar parts and transmissions and has been doing it for 30 years..others like Coan, Turbo Action and TCI builds everyone's trannys...

Now let me tell what I got for my money...I could have gotten one built here locally for $1,200 to $1,600...his was $1,745 to me...this is what it included...

Big block case and tailshaft, glass beaded and cleaned, 12 roller bolt in sprag unit, polished rear support, 5400 RPM Hemi governor, billet low and rev servo kit, modified 2nd gear servo, 4.2 ratio shift lever, heavy duty band strut, Kevlar bands, red friction clutches, new steels, new bushings and washers, long boot rear seal, four pin stock aluminum front and rear planetaries, reconditioned sungear and sunshell, reconditioned front pump body with babbit front pump bushing, reconditioned front pump support, new inner Mopar pump gear with reconditioned outer gear, reconditioned high gear stock drum, A&A modified valve body 72770-4L with gold bolt set, new molded gasket and Dacron large filter, he aslo gave me new gasket and seals for speedo and NSS, it would have included a new pan but I ready have their deep pan and extension.
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the tranny today....took it home on my lunch hour and took it out of the crate...looks very nice and clean...very professional looking...

Last edited by bremereric; 06-07-2010 at 07:51 PM.
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Rick A&A for years.... Not 1 issue.... I have broken or blown up into pieces some of the other sh!t listed in this thread.
    The only 2 people allowed to do my trans are Rick Allison (A&A) and Martin Saine (MSP)

Anyone else and it's just a matter of time....
    ]=Supershafts.com=[

www.limotorsports.org
    We Race ! We Vote !

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't do this very often but I decided to switch gears and start on the tranny....

I decided to stop with the radiator and HHR fan setup right now and concentrate on the tranny this week..it is my goal to have it swapped out before this Saturday and the new one back in at 100% before vacation..we leave this comming up Sunday and I will finish the fan and radiator when I return....I removed the tranny pan tonight and found lots of metal shavings in the bottom...it look like it came from the planetary gears..I cleaned up everything and transferred it to the new tranny...got one side of the exhaust out of the way and will continue with the removal tomorrow evening...I am off on Friday so I have all day to work on it....

see how clean and pretty it looks inside..right hand bottom corner is where the 4.2 ration shift lever is...

the billet extension and filter installed.....

440 Sources deep chrome pan....hecho en china...magnet on drain plug and A&A's molded gasket...

kickdown lever....shift lever and NSS installed.....

Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    i hope you miss- typed in the 1st post.

Never start your burnout in 1st gear with a 727.

always start in 2nd.

unless i missed something in this post....
    493 /eddy rpm's / 93 pump gas - 1.41 / 6.46 at 105.8

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 496dart View Post
    i hope you miss- typed in the 1st post.

Never start your burnout in 1st gear with a 727.

always start in 2nd.

unless i missed something in this post....
    Nope I even had to sign a paper stating that and the dangers and liabilty of the front drum coming apart...my valve body is an automatic shifting low band apply....if you are running a manual forward or reverse valve body this doesn't apply...he asured me that when you manual shift to 1st you are applying the low band so that you are not totally on the roller sprag....doing it in second is totally on the roller sprag and you can damage it...
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bremereric View Post
    Nope I even had to sign a paper stating that and the dangers and liabilty of the front drum coming apart...my valve body is an automatic shifting low band apply....if you are running a manual forward or reverse valve body this doesn't apply...he asured me that when you manual shift to 1st you are applying the low band so that you are not totally on the roller sprag....doing it in second is totally on the roller sprag and you can damage it...
    I was incorrect on two notes...I read A&A's catalog in the valve body section...mine is not a low band apply valve body...that's why he told me to shift to first to apply the band.....running a manual forward or reverse does not mean that it is applying the low band unless it is one of theirs with the low band technology...
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info on your trans..please keep the info and pics coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bremereric View Post
    I was incorrect on two notes...I read A&A's catalog in the valve body section...mine is not a low band apply valve body...that's why he told me to shift to first to apply the band.....running a manual forward or reverse does not mean that it is applying the low band unless it is one of theirs with the low band technology...
    When I drained my trans to take the engine out I noticed a little clutch or band material in the pan. Mine has a forward manual valve body with low band apply. My trans guy thinks the low/reverse band is cooked. He says that they are splash oiled and when our cars sit for a long time all the oil drains off the band. The band is engaged in low and reverse so the first bit of driving is hard on them. He hasn't opened it up yet, so I don't know for sure. I did read a torqueflite article that says the low band does not apply in first gear when starting in drive, but it does apply if you start in manual low, which kind of makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qkcuda View Post
    When I drained my trans to take the engine out I noticed a little clutch or band material in the pan. Mine has a forward manual valve body with low band apply. My trans guy thinks the low/reverse band is cooked. He says that they are splash oiled and when our cars sit for a long time all the oil drains off the band. The band is engaged in low and reverse so the first bit of driving is hard on them. He hasn't opened it up yet, so I don't know for sure. I did read a torqueflite article that says the low band does not apply in first gear when starting in drive, but it does apply if you start in manual low, which kind of makes sense.
    You are correct sir...manually shift into first gear....my magnetic plug picked up some smaller metal particles but larger shavings from something metal were in the bottom of the pan and stuck to the filter...Rick built mine with Kevlar bands so I hope they do better...thanks
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know the correct method to flush out a torque convertor or should I take it to a tranny shop and trust them to do it...?
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive pour tranny fluid into them and hand shake and twirl the conv. and turn it upside down and shake and twirl, got to do it a few times and then let it set up over night on a can upside down to let it drain, do what you can to clean it out so you dont trash that new tranny

Post Thanks / Like
    GOOD TIMES!!!!! I do 1-2 burnouts, kaboom. My dad has done 1-2 burnouts for 15 years, never one problem. Depends on how lucky you're feeling and how much money you got. He's got extra goodies in his transmission from mine.

A kevlar blanket helps out too! I just do a 2nd gear power brake now.

Fast new time of 11.39 @ 116... 12.26 @ 108 MPH <---- 440 13.76 @ 98.20 MPH <---- The 340

http://www.greenriver.edu/news/drag_...cholarship.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget to flush the trans line and cooler too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by william View Post
    Don't forget to flush the trans line and cooler too.

I am trashing the factory lines and have a B&M cooler with an electric fan...
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dart kid View Post
    GOOD TIMES!!!!! I do 1-2 burnouts, kaboom. My dad has done 1-2 burnouts for 15 years, never one problem. Depends on how lucky you're feeling and how much money you got. He's got extra goodies in his transmission from mine.

A kevlar blanket helps out too! I just do a 2nd gear power brake now.

What blew up..because the front steel drum still seems to be intact? remember their are two ways to trash your roller sprag unit...brake a u-joint, driveshaft breaks or something breaks in your rear end...then you fix that and try it again without fixing the broken sprag...ka boom there goes your factory front steel drum...the other is a full on sprag second gear burnout...thats info from Rick Allison with A&A trannys
    Last edited by bremereric; 06-08-2010 at 10:46 PM.
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    These are the metal shavings that I found in the pan and filter......

Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375