Big Block Dart Forums banner

My '65 Valiant Custom 100...(NOW with PICS)

9K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  topchopvalle 
#1 ·
I'm new posting here, but have been reading for some time, so here's a little about my project:

The car's a 1965 Valiant Custom 100 Hardtop. It's a Canadian production model, and it had a cloth/vinyl bench seat interior.

Yes, it says "Custom 100" on the side trim spear... which looks the same otherwise as a 200, except that it's a hardtop...

I only have this one poor picture of the car from about 7 years ago. I had sold it shortly after that and just bought it back from my friend this summer. This car was bought the first time around as a parts car for my '65 Custom 100 convertible... but I since found a really bashed and rusted Custom 100 convertible for parts. I wish the picture was more clear, but my brother and I were trying to see if L60-14's on 14x8 Rocket Racing wheels would fit... which they didn't, but it had a nice look to it. The car is pretty much a big project right now, but I want to get the rusty floors and quarters patched up this winter with the ultimate goal of building a quick sleeper. I'm still debating if I want to mini-tub it or not. I want to run tail pipes on the car, but also want to be able to hook up. I am also leaning towards using split mono-leaf Cal-Tracs. I'll probably be looking for a pile of info/input soon. Winter's coming, and that's the perfect time to get things done over here. :)

I am planning for a stroker smallblock in my Valiant, but my brother is planning on installing a 383 in his 67 Dart, so there is a point in me being here. :)

Rej

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: My '65 Valiant Custom 100... for 340fyd

Hi Carl, I'm still debating whether to relocate the full 3" or just use the MP offset shackles and hangars. All I know is the wheel wells are pretty narrow on these cars.

Hi Darwin! Seems like the Custom 100 convertibles are indeed perpetual projects!!

#5 ·

Hi Rej

That´s the nice thing with a project like this, to plan and discuss with friends what to do and how to do it. ctfgt

My point is to get as much space as possiblefor wider tires but still using the leafsprings.

Good luck with your project

#6 ·

I moved mine in in three inches, which it really moved them in further than that though. So if you car is a Canadian does it have the Dart front clip on it then? Ya, some updated pictures would be cool. Listen to me, I need some udated pictures also. I still haven't got pictures of my rear disk brake deal on a computer to show some people that were interested in a cheap rear disk brake deal. Thanks for the info on your car.

Lee

#7 ·

The way Canadian Valiants work... the '63-64 are basically US Darts with Valiant front clips... in 1965, there were 2 series... the 100 and the 200. The 100 and Custom 100's are the same as the US Valiant 100 and 200 (with some body type exceptions) but they had the Dart dashboard. The 200, Custom 200 and Signet are pretty much US Darts with Valiant nameplates and some trim... they even use the Dart front clip. In '66, there was no "US-Valiant-based-Valiant".. Just the Valiant based on the Dart (again, like a Dart from bumper to bumper with different emblems)... We also had Valiant Barracudas... with Dart instrument panels. My friend had a '65.

Basically the Custom 100's are a 1-year only model.

That red convertible in 65Val's post (above) is a Custom 100, and that's what mine is supposed to look like when it's finished. The hardtops look like a US Signet, but with 200 style trim and grille (like that convertible), and bench seat interiors instead of buckets.

I took some pics of the coupe this weekend. I just haven't had a chance to get them uploaded yet. Trust me, it looks pretty bad right now.

#8 ·

Overdrive said:
The way Canadian Valiants work... the '63-64 are basically US Darts with Valiant front clips... in 1965, there were 2 series... the 100 and the 200. The 100 and Custom 100's are the same as the US Valiant 100 and 200 (with some body type exceptions) but they had the Dart dashboard. The 200, Custom 200 and Signet are pretty much US Darts with Valiant nameplates and some trim... they even use the Dart front clip. In '66, there was no "US-Valiant-based-Valiant".. Just the Valiant based on the Dart (again, like a Dart from bumper to bumper with different emblems)... We also had Valiant Barracudas... with Dart instrument panels. My friend had a '65.

Basically the Custom 100's are a 1-year only model.

That red convertible in 65Val's post (above) is a Custom 100, and that's what mine is supposed to look like when it's finished. The hardtops look like a US Signet, but with 200 style trim and grille (like that convertible), and bench seat interiors instead of buckets.

I took some pics of the coupe this weekend. I just haven't had a chance to get them uploaded yet. Trust me, it looks pretty bad right now.

Rej....My avatar's of one that was f/s in Alberta sometime back. That's what mine's supposed to look like when its done too,('cept white....actually light tan)....whenever THAT is!!! :)

#9 ·

Yes, I knew that was the one for sale in Alberta... My ragtop is light blue... but I don't think I can bring myself to paint it back that colour.

Edit: I finally got some pics of the Hardtop uploaded... there's not a whole lot there... YET. ;D (BTW, all the trim is all off the car right now...)

#13 ·
I had cut off some quarter panels off a sedan many years ago, and after getting them home saw that they were not as solid as I had thought they were... so they sat in the shed for a few years. I just looked at them again this weekend, and the wheel arches are still in usable shape. The only piece I might need is the right lower rear quarter. We'll see, but I am going to try out the floor pan patches. My convertible is a whole different story (it needs ALL the available patch panels).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.