'67 Dart Big Bird build
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: '67 Dart Big Bird build

Post Thanks / Like
    Stop by machine shop again today. Blocked is filled and sleeve installed. Need to finish home now. Still needs to recut valve reliefs in pistons. But thankfully it is progress.

Troy

9.85@141 w/ 1.51 60' footbraking on drag radials

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Not update I wanted to post at this point but here goes. Engine is finished and taken to dyno wensday

Got to dyno took a bit to set-up as my headers didnt line up with exhaust set up he had. Made one pull with carb straight out of box and timing set and conservative 34*. Hmm does this carb make my engine look small?

Made 694@6200 rpm and 646ftlb torque( don't remember rpm. Engine was on lean side so decided to up jets to 109's all 4 corners. Engine builder ran vales to check lash while we got some jets to add to it. Next pull didnt go well. Engine started to make noise. Removed valve covers and found an adjuster had backed-off and tore up adjuster and pushrod.
    So parts ordered to fix but won't be back for anymore tuning til Monday. Hopefully better news then. Should have some more power still in it as it still seemed lean with the 109 jets.

Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    Motor is making some power that's for sure. Keep us posted after the jet change.

68 Dodge Dart, 383, 727, 8 3/4 w/ 4.10's

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that's a real deep oil pan.
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

1968 Dodge Dart 440 Big Block, Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads, Performer RPM intake, Holley 770 CFM Street Avenger, .541/.538 lift hydraulic roller cam, Harland Sharp 1.6 Ratio Roller Rockers..Crane Roller lifters..580 Final lift, MSD pro-billet distributor, MSD ignition, 355 Auburn Suregrip 8 3/4 rear end.

1977 Dodge Aspen R/T...318...4 speed tranny with 355 gears in a 8 1/4" rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got push rods and adjusters in engine and back to dyno. Here nis first pull

Played with timing a little and then added the Super sucker to it.

Then here is finall pull after changing oil and re checking valves. Not quite all I was wanting but stil good numbers and nice flat curve

Now just gotta get everything back together and in car

Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    Last two pulls I like the 715/626 on the second and the 716/627 at 6000 on the third. The super sucker seemed to help.
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

1968 Dodge Dart 440 Big Block, Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads, Performer RPM intake, Holley 770 CFM Street Avenger, .541/.538 lift hydraulic roller cam, Harland Sharp 1.6 Ratio Roller Rockers..Crane Roller lifters..580 Final lift, MSD pro-billet distributor, MSD ignition, 355 Auburn Suregrip 8 3/4 rear end.

1977 Dodge Aspen R/T...318...4 speed tranny with 355 gears in a 8 1/4" rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well after a weekend of thrashing on car it is finally alive and back down on all 4. Got a appointment for morning to get alignment done. Was nice to finally hear it fire up today. New exhaust sounds good. Bad bad video but nice sound.

Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    She damn sure sounds nasty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Small update. Going for a couple shake down passes tonight then have the true street shoot out tomorrow. Will post times when I can

Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck and hope you run what you are after.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well car did great on the 30/40 mile cruise except it was breaking up alot. Temps were real good water never went above 170 and oil temp stayed below 150. Got to track made first pass only went 10.34@132.45. Got back to pits checked timing at it was only at 9*. Played with crank trigger and checked everything else. Think my msd 7al-3 box took shit on me. Tried plugging distributor in still would not go above 15*. Plugged crank trigger back in. Over it what should have been 20* still would only advance timing to 15*. Being stupid ran one more pass at 15 went 10.24@133.5. So loaded back up and watched rest of races. Going to send box off to msd Monday have them go through it. Can't wait to see what it will run once we can get it back up to around 37*

troy

Post Thanks / Like
    Been busy trying to get car going again and with work. Sent box off to have msd inspect it. Start delay circuit was replaced and they upgraded some resistors. But while box was out a friend let me borrow his box and still timing way off. I went through and checked everything still could not find anything wrong. So finally decided to to just go back to start and check everything. Ended up finding the harmonic balancer had spun the outside shell causing timing marks to be off. So no idea how long ago it started to move. Ordered an ATI one this time should be here wensday.
    Going to try to make it out Friday night for some tnt. Going to go out with slicks this time to take traction problem out of equation. Might start looking for different intake as right now with adapter and super sucker I don't have room for hood. I hate that look too . Just have to decide between M1 or Indy intake. Leaning toward the Indy as I don't like the valley pan built in the m1.

Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    Having problems with traction this year but did get out to make a couple passes to check everything out. Family was in town so didnt get time to play with timing much or adjust anything. Had it set at 36* timing so on safe side still plenty in it I think. DA was around 3800 friday night man it was muggy.
    Best run was 10.24@133 with a horrible 1.48 and spinning after tires would unload. Think some better rear shocks and having time to mess with timing more should be easy 9's.
    Now for bad news I think I am going to start looking at selling the current drivetrain from tranny all the way to k member. Wanna modernize and go boosted. If it doesn't sell will keep it going still fun just got a bit further away from street then I wanted. Temps so far this year never over 170* water and 145* oil.
    Anyway no pics this update we just see what future holds now

Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    Was looking at front shocks and found one of them leaking so might be some of my problem with front rising to quickly. But been a not very smart man went ahead and orded new 3 way adjustable shocks for front and double adjustable qa1 for the coil over in back. Hopefully they be here friday so I can test them out Sat. . Have late night race sat night so as long as it doesn't rain should have decent air.
    Have to finish hooking up wideband gauge tomorrow then get it ready for shocks and race sat.

Put engine up for sale I am sure a bit high but felt fair for everything included. If it sells car will be down for probably a year as I get it ready for a hemi and some boost. If it doesn't sell probably start looking at adding a 150 shot to it later in year and go for hopefully low 9 passes

Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    Got shocks finished up. Didn't get picture of fronts installed but here is a box

Here is the rear shocks before install

After install

Also had a little extra time to finally install the wideband so I can start trying to tune carb a bit

Went out to track Sat. night to try to get suspension setup some. 60' were horrible with worst being 1.55. Made a few passes trying to get them adjusted but ran out of time before storms moved in. Got best down to 1.46 should still be alot left in it. After getting home at 3:30am from track had to clean car up as a friend wanted me to bring car for photo shoot for calendar For local car show. Won't have any of those pictures to show ya til Jan but snuck one with phone.

Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    looking good!! sometimes chasing them 60fts is a pain in the ass. i see alot of fast ladder bar cars but im not sure im sold. 69 DartHulks car has been a pain in the ass also. makes my nose heavy leaf spring car seem like a walk in the park.
    68 GTS Dart 10.30 @ 131.5 mph 3780# pump gas street car!!
    69 Roadrunner 440 6BBL 11.69 @ 115 only time to the track spinning..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 68 HEMI GTS View Post
    looking good!! sometimes chasing them 60fts is a pain in the ass. i see alot of fast ladder bar cars but im not sure im sold. 69 DartHulks car has been a pain in the ass also. makes my nose heavy leaf spring car seem like a walk in the park.
    Yea for some reason having alot of problems getting off the Line clean this year. Hoping shocks help think I need to adjust spring on coil overs as have a feeling they are over extending. I don't see any reason shouldn't be able to get it done to consistent mid 1.3's.

Wanna get launch straighten out and if. Nobody decides they want engine going to put a 150 shot on it but gotta it traction figured out

Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    Man that car is sweet!
    Mike
    72' Dart 440/D60 Caged blah blah blah

Post Thanks / Like
    Ladder bars are very sensitive to shock settings. If you have a good bar setting (lower the nose angle, the harder the initial hit). Then set the exstension on your shocks to full loose, maximum seperation. If the car has great weight transfer and intial hook, then breaks loose, leave the exstension alone and work with the compression setting.

Start with your compression in the center, if the car launches and spins tighten up the compression 3 clicks, if that doesn't help go 3 more. If that still doesn't help go back to center and work 3 clicks in the other direction. Once you get it hooking and staying hooked go back and work with your exstention setting and see if you can tighten it a little.

Of course the wild card here is the track. If it sucks then just buy some white dial in numbers and throw them at the car, whatever sticks will be your dial-in

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeprace View Post
    Ladder bars are very sensitive to shock settings. If you have a good bar setting (lower the nose angle, the harder the initial hit). Then set the exstension on your shocks to full loose, maximum seperation. If the car has great weight transfer and intial hook, then breaks loose, leave the exstension alone and work with the compression setting.

Start with your compression in the center, if the car launches and spins tighten up the compression 3 clicks, if that doesn't help go 3 more. If that still doesn't help go back to center and work 3 clicks in the other direction. Once you get it hooking and staying hooked go back and work with your exstention setting and see if you can tighten it a little.

Of course the wild card here is the track. If it sucks then just buy some white dial in numbers and throw them at the car, whatever sticks will be your dial-in
    Thanks for advise will give it a try tonight

Troy