How to quiet down a generator
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to quiet down a generator

Post Thanks / Like

How to quiet down a generator

I recently bought this Subaru / Coleman Powermate generator for home back up etc. But the 11 HP motor is a bit noisy. Has anyone done any modifications to the exhaust on thier portable generator? Andrew
    Attached Images
    [img]

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    No idea. When I go to get one I will be looking at a 1,800rpm unit rather than the 3,600rpm I'm sure you have there. Big noise difference.

It would be hard to enclose it as it would overheat the unit.
    69 Swinger 340
    Soon to be 69 426 Dart
    80 Crew Cab gas hawg
    01 DIESEL Hauler

Bailey, Colorado

Post Thanks / Like
    i used a welder to power my house when the power went out i slipped a pretty long 2" muffler over the exhaust. it quieted it down big time but the generator itself was still really loud. i put it in my garage so no one could easily pinpoint where it was coming from. i felt liek everyone was going to come knocking

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdart View Post
    i used a welder to power my house when the power went out i slipped a pretty long 2" muffler over the exhaust. it quieted it down big time but the generator itself was still really loud. i put it in my garage so no one could easily pinpoint where it was coming from. i felt liek everyone was going to come knocking
    If I was looking for the noise,,,,,I would look FIRST at the house that had lights...!!!
    I thought I was getting too old for this....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chapper View Post
    If I was looking for the noise,,,,,I would look FIRST at the house that had lights...!!!
    Ha!
    [img]

Post Thanks / Like
    i know, believe me i felt like i was doing something wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    After the hurricane Ike in Houston...people who had thiers running in front of the house or on the side of the house were getting ripped off...they would bring a shitty lawn mower...start it up by the generator and then shut off the generator and wheel it away....true story..
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

1968 Dodge Dart 440 Big Block, Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads, Performer RPM intake, Holley 770 CFM Street Avenger, .541/.538 lift hydraulic roller cam, Harland Sharp 1.6 Ratio Roller Rockers..Crane Roller lifters..580 Final lift, MSD pro-billet distributor, MSD ignition, 355 Auburn Suregrip 8 3/4 rear end.

1977 Dodge Aspen R/T...318...4 speed tranny with 355 gears in a 8 1/4" rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bremereric View Post
    After the hurricane Ike in Houston...people who had thiers running in front of the house or on the side of the house were getting ripped off...they would bring a shitty lawn mower...start it up by the generator and then shut off the generator and wheel it away....true story..
    Wouldn't you realize something was wrong when the lights went out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by satellite65 View Post
    During the day when it was bright outside...
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

1968 Dodge Dart 440 Big Block, Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads, Performer RPM intake, Holley 770 CFM Street Avenger, .541/.538 lift hydraulic roller cam, Harland Sharp 1.6 Ratio Roller Rockers..Crane Roller lifters..580 Final lift, MSD pro-billet distributor, MSD ignition, 355 Auburn Suregrip 8 3/4 rear end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by satellite65 View Post
    Tell the wife,,,"if the lights go out,,start shooting"!!
    I thought I was getting too old for this....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chapper View Post
    Tell the wife..."if the lights go out,,start shooting"!!
    Believe me that I had my 9mm shoved down the asscrack of my pants...ready for anyone...
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    ive seen steel wool shoved in the muffler before and a peice of wire screen on the outlet as a spark arrester to say and it work's god for a few decibels sorry if thats not spelled right

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by buck440 View Post
    ive seen steel wool shoved in the muffler before and a peice of wire screen on the outlet as a spark arrester to say and it work's god for a few decibels sorry if thats not spelled right
    check your spelling Bobby....fiberglass gives it that old time glasspack sound...
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what we did when we were on those camp outs where everyone wore green...........the smaller sets were the loudest.
    Or maybe it was just because they were closer to the tents.
    But dig a hole so they are below ground level.
    Set them in and let them roar.
    Additional noise attenuation is a dicier deal........we have built a box enclosure for them , but over heating can be an issue here.................and you need to make sure that it will have sufficient air / oxygen to keep running.
    Restricting the exhaust with steel wool / packing is not such a good idea if you want the gen set to live a long and happy life.
    Adding additional mufflers in line will definitely work , though even a simple wall to deflect the noise towards a neighbor you don't care for can be effective.
    It's a fine line between " how much ? " and " Why the hell not ? "

BBD LEGEND
    Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of things you can do it get a "Critical" muffler. It will be bigger and quieter than the one that came on there. Also, place a row of bushes where you plan to run the gen. They muffle sound pretty well...

Also, lock the generator to something. Theft is very common.
    It takes a Mopar to catch a Mopar.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the ideas. I bought a 2 1/2 muffler at TSC for a tractor and held it against the spark arrestor / muffler. It made little difference, i even cut it apart and packed it with fiber glass.
    [img]

Post Thanks / Like
    i never tried it but a guy i know told me he runs his welder exhaust through a piece of bent conduit into a rain barrel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tubtar View Post
    Here's what we did when we were on those camp outs where everyone wore green...........the smaller sets were the loudest.
    Or maybe it was just because they were closer to the tents.
    But dig a hole so they are below ground level.
    Set them in and let them roar.
    Additional noise attenuation is a dicier deal........we have built a box enclosure for them , but over heating can be an issue here.................and you need to make sure that it will have sufficient air / oxygen to keep running.
    Restricting the exhaust with steel wool / packing is not such a good idea if you want the gen set to live a long and happy life.
    Adding additional mufflers in line will definitely work , though even a simple wall to deflect the noise towards a neighbor you don't care for can be effective.
    man u have got the answers to everything
    Last edited by buck440; 12-16-2010 at 06:58 PM. Reason: my reason

Post Thanks / Like
    Shut it off, that should quiet it down a bit!!!

You could build an enclosure around it with a baffled vent on one side for air intake and a baffled vent with exhaust fan on the other side.

Post Thanks / Like
    i used a car muffler and wlded a washer with about a 3/4" hole on the exit off the muffler. it got a lot quieter, but like said in an earlier post is that the generator itself was just too noisy. i bought a honda es3000 and probem solved. i hate it when your at the race track and the guy next to you puts his noisy ass generator on the side of the trailer that he's not going to be. so like it's huray for him and fck me.