Removing rear axle bearings. Please help!
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Removing rear axle bearings. Please help!

Post Thanks / Like

Removing rear axle bearings. Please help!

I am in the process of trying to get ready to remove my old axle bearings on a 8 3/4 rear. My buddy has a smaller hydraulic press which can easliy press new ones on but is limited on space/reach to press the old ones off. I have read article were people cut the retainer sleeve with a cut off wheel and finished it off with a chisel and the same with the bearing itself. Anyone got any suggestions. I have heard also of people cutting a groove into the sleeve and using a bearling splitter with the press to get it off but my problems is the limited space to get to the bearing with my buddy's press unless I fabricate something.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    In the past here is what I have done - cut the outer race through in two places with a cut off wheel - it now falls off, cut the cage away and the rollers fall off, then carefully cut most of the way through the inner race (still on the shaft) with a small cut off wheel - may have to us a dremel type tool. Support the axle on the inner race on a slightly opened bench vice with the cut in the race up and strike the opening (cut) with a cold chisel (probably requires two people). The race should crack the rest of the way through. It should now be relieved enough that you car tap it off the shaft with a drift. If not repeat the cutting procedure on the other side and it will fall off.

For the re installation - they are a fairly tight fit - it will help you if you freeze the shaft in a deep freeze and heat the bearing in an oven or with a heat gun first - use some good gloves, or your wife's oven mits!

I think that is how it went, it has been a couple of years.

Good luck

Dave
    I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah - forgot about the retainer - same goes for it as the inner race - cut it carefully when cutting the race, do not score the axle. Cut it most of the way through, strike it with a cold chisel and it should crack. It is now relieved enough to drift off the axle....

Its been a while - take your time, use common sense and you will have no problems.

David
    I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done all mine the same way. No reason to save them when you are going to replace them.

68 Dodge Dart, 383, 727, 8 3/4 w/ 4.10's