451 build 1975 dart
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: 451 build 1975 dart

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

451 build 1975 dart

Hi. Im new on the site and looks like it could be extremely helpful to me. I have a project on the go with my 75 dart. It had a 6cyl in it but now has a 360 that fit just fine. But i would like to fit the old farm trucks 400 thats been sitting around for a while put some 440 parts in it. There seems to be alot of options i can go to help it fit, Could anyone be kind enough to give me a low down on what i am expecting. I am also looking into an A833 4 speed, the tranny in it now is the 3 spd auto. I already know about the machining of the bellhousing and the floor will have to be cut for the tran itself.Is the 75 a good year to do this build? Can i keep power steering? what would be the best heads for a street/occasonal drag car and do some heads move the headers into something they shouldnt hit? Im just a back yard guy that thinks he can handle this, so if i could get as much info as possibhle that would be great and much appreciated. Great site by the way

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Schumacher Creative is a great place to start for your engine swap and header questions. Welcome aboard.

http://www.engine-swaps.com/
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

1968 Dodge Dart 440 Big Block, Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads, Performer RPM intake, Holley 770 CFM Street Avenger, .541/.538 lift hydraulic roller cam, Harland Sharp 1.6 Ratio Roller Rockers..Crane Roller lifters..580 Final lift, MSD pro-billet distributor, MSD ignition, 355 Auburn Suregrip 8 3/4 rear end.

1977 Dodge Aspen R/T...318...4 speed tranny with 355 gears in a 8 1/4" rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    welcome to the site ,, the 75 will be fine with either the 400 or a 440 ,, of course things will be a little cramped but hey whats not fun in that ,,, good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a good introduction to the 451.

http://www.arengineering.com/articles/451.html

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, this should start me off in the right direction. hopefully i get some time to start this and get some pics going on here.

Post Thanks / Like
    And dont forget the tech pages on this site. LOTS of helpful info.

And learn how to post pics here too

codfish

DRIVE A HYBRID.* I NEED YOUR GAS!!!

11.09 @ 119.4 in FULL street trim at a slim 3800 lbs

Post Thanks / Like
    im kicking the idea around about a 451 build. you really need to look at the total cost. i think you can do a 440source 500" stroker for the same price, getting 50 extra cubes. you can save money using ly rods on the 451, but they are still just stock rods. 440source has a price listed on their site, but im not sure if its a base price or if it is a one price fits all kinds of deal. i dont really need a 500" hell for what i want to do i could get away with a 400 rebuild, but a good piston for the 400 isnt cheap.

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just found a set for 400 bucks, that almost sounds to cheap, KB 280's, it says set of eight, Im thinking this would be reasoanable or am i wrong.