1991 mustang power steering pump NOISE
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: 1991 mustang power steering pump NOISE

Post Thanks / Like

1991 mustang power steering pump NOISE

whats the deal. Mary bought a supe clean conv. and the original owner stated it always made that fuckin noise..I took it to local kid wonder mech and he smiled when I told him my issue..said if it works leave it alone. he's replaced them 4friends and they still make that racket..
    IS there any fix for the stang pumps..

http://www.usajon.com
    http://www.dailymotion.com/USAJon
    take the beer off the dash, otherwise they will not let you race...75-80 Dragway...old school.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    every ford i ever owned had that problem...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I agree. Every ford I have owned from the 70's through the 90's with power steering had a steering pump whine. I think it is just the style of pump they use. Turn up the stereo.
    I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead

BBD LEGEND
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...............In the 80s when this all came to light........Ford stated in a news release...........your new car/truck has power assist steering, not power steering..............kim...................
    MR. Mechanic...........Panther Pink Duster* * The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there any chance a synthetic power steering fluid would clear it up some? If there is any such thing.

But yeah, it is a very common thing with fords.

codfish

DRIVE A HYBRID.* I NEED YOUR GAS!!!

11.09 @ 119.4 in FULL street trim at a slim 3800 lbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree.Almost every Ford has noise.Ive even installed new pumps and flushed them and they still have noise.Sometime a PS flush helps quiet them a bit.Rocky
    Harleys and Mopars.If god made better he kept it.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 92 Bronco made noise. I went with more stereo and less muffler. The real fix is a Saginaw pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to take apart things to see how they work or don't work... I'd take apart an old pump. I would bet that the intake to the pump is designed too small and causing the pump to cavitate..I have heard that un mistakeable ferd whine... Sounds just like cavitation.. unless it is a gear pump, then it could be gear whine from poorly matched gears... (in this case you are sol...) Engineers do miss the mark sometimes, a little investigation, and a quick touch with a die grinder can sometimes correct these problems, or make them worse... Mustang parts are usually pretty cheap, so you don't have much to loose by tearing into one right?

also different weights of oil might be an option, try something thinner than or thicker than the oil you are running.. you don't have to use "power steering fluid" in one, it is just a hydraulic pump... as long as the oil you use doesn't attack the rubber seals you should be fine.

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    i always though all fords have that as a sort of signature feature. KIDDING.

leaving it alone may cause you some future problem, so I suggest you dump your old power steering pump and get yourself a new one.

BBD GOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up i agree with the "juice"

use some heavier hydraulic fliud in it.
    "bOb Built" (no matter how many times it takes)