727 torque converter
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: 727 torque converter

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

727 torque converter

I'm in the process of swapping my 227 for a 360 5.9 liter R/T motor In My75 dart. ( I know not a big block but a great improvement none the less) with that I got my hands on a transmission and torque converter from a 318. I've been doing my research and from what I've been reading I'll be able to interchange the transmission (until money promits me to upgrade) but the torque converter wont work. My questions is how do I know whether I need a internal or external balance (I believe its external for the 360) and whether I need a 24 or 19 spline torque converter

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LarkoBeans View Post
    I'm in the process of swapping my 227 for a 360 5.9 liter R/T motor In My75 dart. ( I know not a big block but a great improvement none the less) with that I got my hands on a transmission and torque converter from a 318. I've been doing my research and from what I've been reading I'll be able to interchange the transmission (until money promits me to upgrade) but the torque converter wont work. My questions is how do I know whether I need a internal or external balance (I believe its external for the 360) and whether I need a 24 or 19 spline torque converter
    Hi ! Your swap sounds fine and will work out well for you I`m sure. You are correct all 360`s are externally balanced . 318`s from 1974 and up are also externally balanced. You can check your 318 converter by looking at the side that faces the engine . There will be a piece of metal spot welded on near the ring gear , if it`s an earlier 318 it will not have the weight welded on and will be smooth except for the bosses for the flexplate bolts. If the weight is present the converter is usable . The other possibility is to obtain a zero balance flexplate from B&M ( Summit , Jegs , Mancini , etc) if you don`t have an "externally balanced " converter. The spline thing you mentioned is a non-issue.
    Chryco
    C`mon Boy ! Prove it !

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

727 torque converter

i've changed from 318 to a 360 before, and you can actually buy the weight from a converter rebuild shop and tack weld it on.

BBD LEGEND
    Post Thanks / Like
    ....................No 318s were externally balanced...........get the right B+M flexplate for ur application.......what y6ear is ur trans, if 68 up no worries.................kim............
    MR. Mechanic...........Panther Pink Duster* * The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!