Big Block Dart Forums banner

Shortblock upgrade 440RB to 4.500 aftermarket

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  BBD_of_Corpus 
#1 ·
Wanting either a Aluminum or Iron ( koleno ) 4.500 bore. Who and which is better Indy Max or KP? Stroke of either 4.150 or 4.250. the car is about 2800lbs. Id be using my Indy Ezs with max wedge openings and Indy single plane w/1100 E85 Domin. and solid roller, Milodon external oiling. What is a good engine builder or company that can build the shortblock? Im guessing around $9000 for an assembled shortblock. Plz share you experiences and thoughts, If your asking why am i doing this? Cuz i want to build an ultimate short block and be able to grow into it as the need for more HP is neeeded or wanted.

#3 · (Edited)
BBD of corpus you getting ready to spend your tax refund?

#8 ·
Hey Eric, not exactly im having to sell my dads home and i have the aluminum FE427 which if it were only a Mopar then id be set to go but i have a Ranchero 59 and alot of stuff to sell so i should have sum money coming in, i wanted a Hemi but the prices im getting for a descent Hemi start at about 20,000 .

#10 ·
Seems like Kb and Callies suck. Muscle Motors rocks.

#13 ·
9-9500 for the shortblock from MuscleMotors and it has been ordered. and around 7200$ for the B1 Original head package and that will get orderd after the aluminum Ford Fe gets sold and maybe a Dana if i have any $$$ left, i still have a W2 setup since i was 19 that i havent used for a small block so if im going to do a mega motor then i may need to just relingquish the years of holding on to stuff and use it to build this motor, but one day id like to build a W2 big inch small block but jeez i should just sell all my small block stuff but who knows i can sit on it another 20yrs and see what happens j/k...

#12 ·
Keith Black is open.Your are looking at 5grand for a finished block shipped to your door.Koleno blocks are about 4grand and need machining.Indy blocks are around 4grand and need machining.World stuff who knows?If you are making the upgrade aluminum is ideal as for repairs and weight.

#14 ·
i ordered a 4.500 World aluminum block, flat top piston and 4.250 stroke MM will clearance,balance and flycut pistons for B1s and assemble, will take about 4 weeks i hope no longer. Headers is going to be a ----- for an a-body 2 1/4 x 4in to fit the B1s. Ill probably use my EZs till i get the B1s then i can compare but who knows it may run good enuff with the Indy stuff.

#16 ·
I would not hold onto the old small block stuff expecting it to be worth more, the reason is technology has and is continuing to make horsepower very cheap. W2 small block stuff used to be the ticket, now you can port a set of edelbrocks or the new Indy Max head and be within 20 cfm of a ported W2.

Now is where I contradict myself, I have six 340 blocks all unbored, cleaned magged and checked that folks are trying to buy all the time. I let go of one last week to get a young man started on his race car project, as we have so few young people who want to drag race and even less who want to try it with a Chrysler. The others I will keep until I am done racing. I sold him a perfect block, standard polished 340 crank, a reconditioned set of bushed rods, main and rod bearings, oil pump and new pioneer dampner for $500.00. Everyone said I was crazy but I want the kid to build a Mopar, not a Chevy!!!

I have found that a properly built small block with program billet main caps will take 650 hp, all day long and not give a minute of trouble if you keep the RPM below 7000.

Sorry hope I didn't hijack the thread.

Beep Out

#18 ·
572 cid

Got a call from Eric @ M.M. for the same cost i could go with a 4.50 crank = 572 to utilize a B1 head and not have a lazy responsive B1 540 so i told him to go ahead and do it, this changes alot of things as far as rear suspension gears etc i figure ill have to drive this like having eggs under the throttle, i rode in a Chally a couple of weeks ago with a 4.50 stroked Hemi with hyd. cam and 2x4 X-Ram and 3.55s it pulled really hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.