Axle tube length Dana 60 in a Dart with inboard springs and minitubs
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Axle tube length Dana 60 in a Dart with inboard springs and minitubs

Post Thanks / Like

Axle tube length Dana 60 in a Dart with inboard springs and minitubs

I am picking up a Dana 60 out of a '77 Dodge truck and need to know how much I need to narrow the axle housing if I am moving my springs inboard and possible minitubbing. Anyone know this?
    Thanks!
    Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhuppertz View Post
    I am picking up a Dana 60 out of a '77 Dodge truck and need to know how much I need to narrow the axle housing if I am moving my springs inboard and possible minitubbing. Anyone know this?
    Thanks!
    Mark
    Mine is 42.5" drum to drum but yours will be a little longer since you r mini tubbing and not fully tubbing,maybe someone else has the correct length that can help you better

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by badasdart68 View Post
    Mine is 42.5" drum to drum but yours will be a little longer since you r mini tubbing and not fully tubbing,maybe someone else has the correct length that can help you better
    So it that the outside of the drum, like axle flange or inside where the backing plate bolts on? Also, did you have to back-half the car to get full tubs in there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wheel backspace makes the difference on overall length.

If you don't know or have your wheel selected, cutting the rear is foolish. Best method is to get your wheel and tire combo, place in wheelwell and measure mount face to mount face. Work backwards from there to get your housing width.

I've had minitubbed cars with rear axles total widths from 48" to ~58".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhuppertz View Post
    So it that the outside of the drum, like axle flange or inside where the backing plate bolts on? Also, did you have to back-half the car to get full tubs in there?
    thats backing plate to backing plate,and my frame rails are only 2ft wide not 4linked just new cross member and new fram rails. I dont know if you can tell in the pics. i have on here. I agree with robx4406. Thats what i did ,bought tire and wheel combo first and made car to fit. i bought 15x15 with 29x15.5 tires. still have full interior. had to modify the brace for back seat a little. cut it to clear wheel tubs. in the pic gas tank fits between the rails,maybe hard to see unless you can zoom in?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by badasdart68; 02-02-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a reminder.
    When you do your mock up be sure to off set the pinion towards the passenger side. I believe it's 1 3/8".

Ted