Big Block Dart Forums banner

Downtimes '72 Scamp - the official thread and introduction

6K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  downtime! 
#1 ·
Transport company dropped her off about an hour ago. Looks better in person than the pics could ever show! Tom did a great job getting this one started, looking forward to adding a few personal touches to her.

Of course, it's 30 degrees here this morning and starting to rain, so no road trips yet. I did take her around the neighborhood though, runs pretty good, need to readjust the carb just a little bit (idle is just a tad high), cam sounds good, car rides good. I can even live with the manual brakes (4 wheels discs makes it nice!).

Got her tucked in the garage alongside the Mustang (strangest stable I've owned in a lot of years!) and they seem to be getting along. Time for some coffee and stand in front of the fire.

Here's a couple of pics to get started, many more to come -

See less See more
#7 ·
The transport company is called HighClassMotorsports. The Scamp shared trailer space with a very nice Lamborghini Gallardo. Apparently, HighClass is the transport company for the factory Lambo race team and in the off season, he transports cars to various dealerships. Had an open spot coming to Texas, so I got the ride. Very good company to deal with.

#9 ·
Bet you five bucks that it sounds better than the stang.

#10 ·
Of course it does. You can't get "that" sound out of a new car. The Stang has its own sound though. Long tubes, off road x pipe, and no mufflers. It's a bit obnoxious around town at times, but it sounds mean at the track. Here's a run from before I put the bower on it, 11.60 run at 120 -

[video=youtube;5sPv9CcBBeg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sPv9CcBBeg&feature=share&list=UU_QMoTfVNehd7olv7sTKdbg&index=2[/video]

#12 ·
Take your new friend to the track and see what it will do.

#14 ·
Got some new pics today showing the hood scoop. Starting to come together pretty good now. Took the traction bars off this afternoon too, found that some old Shelbys had a pinion snubber on their 9" rears, so I ordered some parts to see if I can make it work on mine.

#15 ·
Cooling system upgrade

The Texas heat was just too much for the stock 22" radiator. She'd run around 195 in town, but out on the highway, 60-65 mph and 3.89 gears, combined with a tad too much timing, she'd climb to 205-210. Took her apart about 3 weeks ago and got her ready for the new stuff. Added a Milodon water pump, Mancini housing, and a Champion 26" 3 row radiator with shroud and dual 12" fans. Had to cut a little metal, but it was totally worth it. It's a B body radiator, so it was a little tall, had to cut the lower core support just enough to slip the lower tank down in there (about 1/2" or so). Finally got all the parts together, installed the radiator last week, and wired everything up yesterday. Filled her up with some BeCoolant and added a bottle of Purple Ice for good measure. Fired her up, got her warmed up and the fans came on right at 185. City driving was good, she didn't get over 185 the whole time, but it's been a little cool for Texas this week (highs under 90 all week long, lows in the upper 60's). I'm going to recheck the timing, maybe back it off a degree or two and then head out on the highway next weekend for a real test.

It gets hard to find a place for stuff like relays and circuit breakers with an RB under the hood, LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.