yearone hood scoops
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: yearone hood scoops

Post Thanks / Like

yearone hood scoops

I am looking for some feedback on the quality of hood scoops from yearone. I ordered and received a dual snorkel scoop (pn BB374) and am very unimpressed with the quality. I will be sending it back tomorrow as there is no way I would want to use this on my car.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hood scoop and bezel set (pn FF672SET). I may go with that unless it is the same junk as the snorkel scoop.

This is probably a stupid question but were/are the NOS scoops fiberglass or metal?

thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

BBD LEGEND
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: yearone hood scoops

I had some '70 Superbee scoops layin' around a while back. I could swear they were glass.
    It takes a Mopar to catch a Mopar.

Post Thanks / Like

I ahve a 70 dart hood on my 72 that has the dual scoops, the scoops are fiberglass

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a 1967 RO23 Hemi scoop at a swap meet from year one and it was absolute junk. They should have been ashamed to sell that crap. Another guy had a AAR Hemi scoop on a 66 Belvedere wagon at the same meet. IT WAS A EXCELLENT QUALITY PART. They were fiberglass

Post Thanks / Like

if you are talkng about the demon style scoop,,,yes the year one repop is junk,,,,,,,i picked up one for a friend of mine ,,found it a chryslers at carlisle,,,came from mopars by crane,,,very nice piece,,completely finished on both sides,,

only drawl back is,,it doesnt have the built in mounting studs like a factory scoop has,, but this reproduction has a 1 /12 inch,,maybe 2 inch lip on the bottom side,you can put the mounting studs where ever it fits your hood,,,also there is a new bonding material the body shops use that works also,,

the demon scoop from mopars by carne is exellent,,,also they make the single twin style scoops,,some call them the ramcharger style scoop like you would see on a dart swinger or a super bee,,,they are exellent as well and they also have the chrome bezels for the twins,,,,i have seen used junk demon scoops at swap meets for over 200.00 when we got the one from crane it was 180.00,,,its a very nice piece,,,
    1966 barracuda blown 340 4 speed tubbed 33x22
    1940 dodge street rod hemi with A/C
    2002 cummins ram dailey driver

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

I ordered the 70 dart twin hoods scoops a few years ago and I thought the were a nice repro.
    Fiberglass was smooth not perfect, some minor scuffs from shipping, I am going to paint them anyways so it really does not matter.

I'd buy them again for another Dart, or demon.

Post Thanks / Like

i have the dual scoops from year one and they look very nice and fit well.
    well worth the $ before refurbishing old ones

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a couple of metal hood scoops...looks like they are a quality piece

http://www.harmsauto.com/

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i looked at the harms scoops myself, pretty nice stuff. but they are definatly very proud of them too$$$$$$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 65bcuda
    yeah i looked at the harms scoops myself, pretty nice stuff. but they are definatly very proud of them too$$$$$$
    Agreed..

I was thinking of getting the Harm's Six Pack for my Dart, 'cause I like metal hoods best, but instead chose to go with an original GTS bulge hood.

BBD LEGEND
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 65bcuda
    You have no idea how hard it is to hand form sheetmetal into those shapes. Those are not scoops, they are artwork.
    440 Trading Post <br /> <br /><br />

Post Thanks / Like

they are pricey but as stated above they take some serious time and talent.

Post Thanks / Like

MY OLD RIDE HOPE IT IS WELL TAKEN CARE OF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 69 GTS Clonvertible
    Those are non-functional, unless of course you buy them at a swap meet like I did, already butchered with holes drilled thru the face. I opened mine up and made them functional. I am still trying to figure out how to duct them to the carb.

Post Thanks / Like

I am waiting on my year one dual snorkel dart/demon/duster scoop to arrive. I'll keep you posted on the quality of it. Been searching Ebay, etc. ......and people are wanting way too much money for old factory scoops that need fiberglass crack repair, studs missing, etc. If I am going to have to work on a scoop, I'd much rather take care of some minor imperfections, sanding, painting, etc on a new one than invest so much time and effort in a 30 year old scoop.
    1975 Dodge Dart Sport - 440
    1973 Barracuda 340
    2000 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4x4

Post Thanks / Like

wow those repops of the barracuda scoops look great,,

Post Thanks / Like

Well......I got my snorkel scoop from Year One today......and I have to say that I am disappointed in the quality of it. I always thought higher of Year One than to stock a peice like this. On top of the rough finish on the front of the openings (pits, scratches, etc), it had a fresh crack between the the two openings. Clean through the wall of the fiberglass. Going to have to grind it out and beef it up the way it should have been in the first place.

Since I don't have time to mess around with returning it and having to buy another scoop for even more money and take a chance on the quality, I'll just fix this one. I was planning on doing some blocking and priming before painting it anyway. But I definitely won't be buying anymore fiberglass reproduction parts from Year One again unless they want to cut $250.00 off the price for my time to repair it properly.

Brian
    1975 Dodge Dart Sport - 440
    1973 Barracuda 340
    2000 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4x4

Post Thanks / Like

I am also very disappointed with yearones hood scoops, very wavy on the sides and top, spent a lot of time fixing that. Plus they don't sit flat on the hood, all the seats are uneven and it really makes them sit bad. I'm going to try and make them sit flat but I'm pretty upset that I spent $300+ and still had to spend this much time to fix them and make them right. I Would not buy any fiberglass stuff from yearone again.
    Formerly known as 1Mean318

Post Thanks / Like

I am trying to figure out if I should wait and try to find a nice used set on ebay or craigslist or just buy an after market set.

Looks likes the Year One's are out of the question now.....Someone said Mopars by Crane made some good ones, but I talked to them at Monster Mopar Weekend and they said the guy that was making them for them has not filled any orders for them in awhile now.

Has anyone tried these guys out yet?? http://www.stingerfiberglass.com/pro...op/index.shtml

Post Thanks / Like

GUYS LOOKING FOR SCOOPS WE GOT ONE FROM MOPARS BY CRANE DEMON SNORKEL,,IT IS PAINT READY OR USE IT IN FLAT BLACK THAT IT COMES IN,,,,180.0 BUCKS,,PLUS SHIPPING,,,ONLY THINK U NEED TO PUT THE MOUNTING STUDS IN UR SELF,,,,THEY MAKE THE SWINGER STYLE ALSO,,, LOOK AT THERE WEB SITE,,,,YEAR ONES SCOOP WAS NO WHERE NEAR AS NICE,, AS THE ONE FROM MOPARS BY CRANE