Big Block Dart Forums banner

Wedge Vs Hemi blocks - mods required?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  womanator 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a complete Hemi vs Wedge differences list as far as bolting on a hemi head to a wedge block? There is obvious stuff like manifolds, pushrod clearance, etc- but it the head bolt spacing different or are they just bigger in size?

#3 ·
Four of the five bolts per cylinder will work. The fifth bolt is the inboard that doesn't work. Bolt bosses need to be welded onto the valley for the fifth bolt that attaches upsidedown. You will also need to carve out notches for the exhaust pushrod to clear the block. The notch cuts into the water jacket and a partial tube is welded into place.

This conversion isn't done anymore that I know of. With the new blocks, good wedge heads, troublesome welds, and cost of the modification it doesn't pay to convert the wedge block anymore.

There was a guy who made Hemi heads made especially for the wedge block. It was called Stage V. I think he's since gone under. His heads required special rockers.

Check this out.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/1969_chrysler_newport_440_block_conversion/index.html

#4 ·
Eric Hansens Stage V company still works, but doesn't make conversion heads anymore. It was a pricey mod, needing custom parts like pistons, and once new blocks became available there was no demand for conversion heads. It costs about the same to buy a real Hemi block and heads than the conversion heads and all parts needed. At about 650 hp you start experiencing problems with the wedge short blocks, and you can get yourself in to trouble even with factory iron heads. So, it doesn't make a lot of sence to install heads with 800+ hp theoretical power. capability on to a stock block.

#5 ·
  I stiil want to do a Stage V conversion engine, will even consider trading my 74 duster 440 for the conversion.

The limitation of hp on the convertion is no diff than on a 440 build up,build the bottom end to handle the hp and you would be ok

The only mod you have to do to the block is to grind where the pusrods go next to the block and run a hemi cam.Amd run a Hemi top end and pistons

5 years ago the cost to build a conversion engine was about $7500.

Stage V  rockers are widley used in top fuel cars.Investment grade rockers. boom[]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.