Please help me cool this dart!
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Please help me cool this dart!

Post Thanks / Like

Please help me cool this dart!

I have a 1972 dart with a mild 440. The car originally had a 318. I am using the original 318 radiator and shroud with a flex fan. Living in hot and humid TN., it wants to run hot, mainly sitting at idle. It doesnt do bad when its cool outside but will still creep up if it sits idling too long. When it IS hot out, as in 6 months out of the year, it gets hot idling at a red light or creeping at 30 mph through town. It will cool back down to 200 once you get going down the road, but idling, it needs better cooling..The original radiator is the bigger on of the 2 that was used in the A-body cars and i believe it is probably sufficient since it cools down once you get it moving. I suspect the fan is not good enough since idling or going REAL slow is where it wants to get hot..HELP!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    You need more radiator for sure we used to take the factory SB radiators to a radiator shop and have them build us a 4row radiator and it worked if you didn`t have a crazy cam. What cam are you running? does it have a choppy idle
    Last edited by 383S; 05-15-2017 at 07:52 PM. Reason: miss print

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 383S View Post
    You need more radiator for sure we used to take the factory SB radiators to a radiator shop and have them build us a 4row radiator and it worked if you didn`t have a crazy cam. What cam are you running? does it have a choppy idle
    It has a choppy idle, its the MP 284/484 cam. I see a few running the factory small block radiator with success. Its funny its ok when moving but wants to get warm sitting still or going 20 mph..like its not getting enough air at idle..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mopower440 View Post
    It has a choppy idle, its the MP 284/484 cam. I see a few running the factory small block radiator with success. Its funny its ok when moving but wants to get warm sitting still or going 20 mph..like its not getting enough air at idle..
    don't have a ton to spend but looking at raiators in the 200 range and there are lots of them! Not sure what to get..I DO want one that will go in without a bunch of cutting and all that..

Post Thanks / Like
    maybe start with adding a 7 blade motor home fan. they do use a wee bit more horsepower than others but they move quite a bit more air at low speed than 5 blade and most flex fans. barring that, it might be time to starting thinking about going electric.

I use a pair of thermostat controlled ones for mine as I was having the same low speed overheating issues. they do eat a bit more power, so you have to take that into consideration, but I can sit in summer traffic and they keep the thing below 200 in almost all circumstances.

also, upgrade that radiator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Jack View Post
    maybe start with adding a 7 blade motor home fan. they do use a wee bit more horsepower than others but they move quite a bit more air at low speed than 5 blade and most flex fans. barring that, it might be time to starting thinking about going electric.

I use a pair of thermostat controlled ones for mine as I was having the same low speed overheating issues. they do eat a bit more power, so you have to take that into consideration, but I can sit in summer traffic and they keep the thing below 200 in almost all circumstances.

also, upgrade that radiator.
    ya, im going to try and get a 7 blade fan. do you recommend any radiators? I want one that will go right in without a bunch of modifying..

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO

look into the pricing to mod the one you have into a 4 core. its probably the easiest way to go. you don't have to sweat fitting it or plumbing. then you can start shopping comparisons. if you go that route, that'll also let them clean it out real well. that always helps. use a reputable shop

replace your thermostat. unless its new, replace it. it's cheap insurance to know what you're working with and expecting. ditto the radiator cap. seal and release properties on those are important. run an overflow.

if you decide to go aluminum, some folks I know swear by Be-Cool radiators http://becool.com/. I've never used them. they're available through Summit.

you might be able to run a single electric fan on the front side of the radiator to supplement airflow at lower speeds without having to go full electric. I'd still run the 7 blade even if you do. having a fan clutch on there will save a few horsepower.

this is all crap I ended up having to do on mine to be able to drive it without having to be super conscious about the temp in low speed stop and go traffic and a 90* summer. it helped (especially that stupid radiator cap thing).

I hope this helps
    Last edited by Capt_Jack; 05-20-2017 at 01:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Jack View Post
    IMO

look into the pricing to mod the one you have into a 4 core. its probably the easiest way to go. you don't have to sweat fitting it or plumbing. then you can start shopping comparisons. if you go that route, that'll also let them clean it out real well. that always helps. use a reputable shop

replace your thermostat. unless its new, replace it. it's cheap insurance to know what you're working with and expecting. ditto the radiator cap. seal and release properties on those are important. run an overflow.

if you decide to go aluminum, some folks I know swear by Be-Cool radiators http://becool.com/. I've never used them. they're available through Summit.

you might be able to run a single electric fan on the front side of the radiator to supplement airflow at lower speeds without having to go full electric. I'd still run the 7 blade even if you do. having a fan clutch on there will save a few horsepower.

this is all crap I ended up having to do on mine to be able to drive it without having to be super conscious about the temp in low speed stop and go traffic and a 90* summer. it helped (especially that stupid radiator cap thing).

I hope this helps
    I am chasing after a 7 blade fan, so hopefully that will help. Also, i thought about doing like you said and adding a small electric pusher fan on the front, but the problem is i installed a trans cooler in front years back because i run a stall convertor, so its right in the way of where a fan would go. I like the idea of adding another row to my stock raiator,, how do they do that and make it reliable..as in not leaking where they added the row? Sounds interesting..will call them on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    pretty sure they just yank off the tanks and add them back to a new 4 row center section. cant swear to it as mine was 4 when I got the car and I'm hardly any sort of expert.

the not leaking part is why I said use a reputable shop. I've seen a few seriously hacked radiators that the shop tried to cover with paint. I've also seen them brazed together like freaking artwork. any decent shop will pressure test their work before returning it to you. if its going to leak, that would be where it should show up.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the 4 row they do take your tans off and add a 4 row core. I have put a push fan on every car i have built living in south Fl. I just ran it off a switch & solenoid so i turned it on when i want

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 383S View Post
    On the 4 row they do take your tans off and add a 4 row core. I have put a push fan on every car i have built living in south Fl. I just ran it off a switch & solenoid so i turned it on when i want
    That's what I really want to do but the dilemma with that is that I have a trans cooler sitting in front of the radiator so I have no place to put the fan..

Post Thanks / Like
    how large is the trans cooler? is there a chance a aux fan could be placed along side it if it were shifted to one side or the other?
    (a pic would be handy)

Post Thanks / Like
    I just know ive been racking my brains trying to figure out which radiator to get. I have the 440 in my dart with the original 318 radiator which has a 17x22 inch core size and need a little better cooling. I want to make the right decision on which one so i dont have to return it so need something that will indeed fit in there. Im wondering if one of the 26 inch core aluminums will bolt right in place of the factory 22 inch..I have 29" between the inner fenders..

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking seriously at this one. 3 row and says it will coll 600HP and the dimensions are about the same as the original old radiator.