B1 heads and under chasis headers?
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: B1 heads and under chasis headers?

Post Thanks / Like

B1 heads and under chasis headers?

I'm making the switch to b1 originals on my 511. Gonna try to modify my TTI headers to fit. I might build some headers but not sure If I want to go that route yet. I was gonna do a small upgrade in heads but got a pretty good deal on a used B1 topend. That way I won't be limited when I decide to go bigger. I'm thinking there is a good chance they bolt right up. The TTI's didn't fit well with the E heads anyway. Should fit better with raised ports. I hate fenderwell headers so that option is out.

Gonna see if I can get a low comp 511 to work with B1's. Peak power was 6400 with cnc E heads, converter stalls 5900, crosses the stripe at 6600. Should move the power up over 7000. Should make the rest of the combo work better.
    Current OSCA Open Comp Champ 2007
    70 Plymouth Duster 511 9.94 at 134.5 mph
    77 Plymouth Volare 400BB 11.29@120...broken and now retired with 8 wins, 1 championship and 2 runner up seasons in 3 years

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

chryco

Re: B1 heads and under chasis headers?

I was doing a low deck B1 stroker build before I got the Hemi , and was building stepped headers (21/8" - 21/4") Nobody at the time made them . Those heads like lots of C/R and like big cubes to meet their full potential . Count on over 7000 R`s . I got header flanges from "Headers by Ed " in Minneapolis , incase you`re looking for those. (I may still have them )
    Best of luck with your build , and keep us posted .
    Chryco

Post Thanks / Like

I feel the same about the fenderwell headers. I took mine off also. I'm doing a 400 low deck stroker with 440-1 heads and my 2" CPPA's. The way i see it the lower deck height from the 400 and the taller (.250) exhaust port should put me in the same area. I am putting motor plates in so i can fine tune the fit from there. If my math is off and they don't fit I will be making headers myself.
    Bob

www.bigtimeauto.com
    Procharger dealer
    NOS refills

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

you will need at least 2.25in.tube headers and iirc you will need different pistons with b1 orgs.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not after a max effort combo so I should be ok with the 2" tube headers I have now. The pistons will get valve notches cut in them.
    Gonna see if I can get a 10.5- comp B1 engine to work half decent. My issue with the E headed combo was I had to drive it hard to run 9.90, was gonna be on the edge every pass. If I screwed up and shifted too high it slowed down. I'm hoping for a 100hp gain and short shift it and pull some timing out to dial in the number. Only 1 way to find out if it will work.
    77 Plymouth Volare 400BB 11.29@120...broken and now retired with 8 wins, 1 championship and 2 runner up seasons in 3 years

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks, the b1 is a complete motor. I know you need 2 1/8 to 2 1/4 step headers i just haven't found any one who has them.
    going back to my pro part 2" headers will loose roughly 35 hp on the dyno!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I like fenderwell headers myself; easy to install and remove and not in teh way of anything if made right, good plug access etc. Anyway, I have built a B1 engine for pump gas, and it run decently, but I expected more out of it. 499 made 781 hp at 7000 rpm and very steady torque curve, over 620 ft-lb from 4000 to 5800 and then started to come down. I think the ports are just too huge for apump gas CR and cammed engine to really shine. And just so that you hear it, I will never put a set on with those black Koffel (Dove) roller rockers.

BBD LEGEND
    Post Thanks / Like

............welcome, whiteb1duster to the block.........kim...........
    MR. Mechanic...........Panther Pink Duster* * The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jyrki
    I like fenderwell headers myself; easy to install and remove and not in teh way of anything if made right, good plug access etc. Anyway, I have built a B1 engine for pump gas, and it run decently, but I expected more out of it. 499 made 781 hp at 7000 rpm and very steady torque curve, over 620 ft-lb from 4000 to 5800 and then started to come down. I think the ports are just too huge for apump gas CR and cammed engine to really shine. And just so that you hear it, I will never put a set on with those black Koffel (Dove) roller rockers.
    I'm wondering what your cam specs are? I have a flat tappet in the engine now and its .600/.600 270/274@.050 with 1.5's. I use 1.6 and get .640 lift at the valve on my E heads. Will be .680 with the 1.7's the heads have. Comp will be between 10.5 and 11.

Thanks
    Glen

Post Thanks / Like

had fenderwells ,went pro parts wanted a under chassis BAD ended up going back to a fender well as the car ran hotter and didn't pull as hard up top

Post Thanks / Like

If I remeber correctly, the cam specs were 276/292 at .050", and the lift with 1.7 T&D's was a bit over 0.7", propably 112 LSA because it was a Scott Brown custom roller and he likes wide LSA's. We had a pretty high CR for 93 octane, 12:1 and made the best numbers with 33 degrees of advance.