Big Block Dart Forums banner

B1 heads and under chasis headers?

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  jyrki 
#1 ·
I'm making the switch to b1 originals on my 511. Gonna try to modify my TTI headers to fit. I might build some headers but not sure If I want to go that route yet. I was gonna do a small upgrade in heads but got a pretty good deal on a used B1 topend. That way I won't be limited when I decide to go bigger. I'm thinking there is a good chance they bolt right up. The TTI's didn't fit well with the E heads anyway. Should fit better with raised ports. I hate fenderwell headers so that option is out.

Gonna see if I can get a low comp 511 to work with B1's. Peak power was 6400 with cnc E heads, converter stalls 5900, crosses the stripe at 6600. Should move the power up over 7000. Should make the rest of the combo work better.

G
#2 ·
I was doing a low deck B1 stroker build before I got the Hemi , and was building stepped headers (21/8" - 21/4") Nobody at the time made them . Those heads like lots of C/R and like big cubes to meet their full potential . Count on over 7000 R`s . I got header flanges from "Headers by Ed " in Minneapolis , incase you`re looking for those. (I may still have them ??? )
Best of luck with your build , and keep us posted .
Chryco ;)

#3 ·
I feel the same about the fenderwell headers. I took mine off also. I'm doing a 400 low deck stroker with 440-1 heads and my 2" CPPA's. The way i see it the lower deck height from the 400 and the taller (.250) exhaust port should put me in the same area. I am putting motor plates in so i can fine tune the fit from there. If my math is off and they don't fit I will be making headers myself.

#5 ·
I'm not after a max effort combo so I should be ok with the 2" tube headers I have now. The pistons will get valve notches cut in them.
Gonna see if I can get a 10.5- comp B1 engine to work half decent. My issue with the E headed combo was I had to drive it hard to run 9.90, was gonna be on the edge every pass. If I screwed up and shifted too high it slowed down. I'm hoping for a 100hp gain and short shift it and pull some timing out to dial in the number. Only 1 way to find out if it will work.

#7 ·
I like fenderwell headers myself; easy to install and remove and not in teh way of anything if made right, good plug access etc. Anyway, I have built a B1 engine for pump gas, and it run decently, but I expected more out of it. 499 made 781 hp at 7000 rpm and very steady torque curve, over 620 ft-lb from 4000 to 5800 and then started to come down. I think the ports are just too huge for apump gas CR and cammed engine to really shine. And just so that you hear it, I will never put a set on with those black Koffel (Dove) roller rockers.

#9 ·
jyrki said:
I like fenderwell headers myself; easy to install and remove and not in teh way of anything if made right, good plug access etc. Anyway, I have built a B1 engine for pump gas, and it run decently, but I expected more out of it. 499 made 781 hp at 7000 rpm and very steady torque curve, over 620 ft-lb from 4000 to 5800 and then started to come down. I think the ports are just too huge for apump gas CR and cammed engine to really shine. And just so that you hear it, I will never put a set on with those black Koffel (Dove) roller rockers.
I'm wondering what your cam specs are? I have a flat tappet in the engine now and its .600/.600 270/274@.050 with 1.5's. I use 1.6 and get .640 lift at the valve on my E heads. Will be .680 with the 1.7's the heads have. Comp will be between 10.5 and 11.

Thanks
Glen

#11 ·
If I remeber correctly, the cam specs were 276/292 at .050", and the lift with 1.7 T&D's was a bit over 0.7", propably 112 LSA because it was a Scott Brown custom roller and he likes wide LSA's. We had a pretty high CR for 93 octane, 12:1 and made the best numbers with 33 degrees of advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.