Big Block Dart Forums banner

High torque starter

7K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  daniel_depetro 
#1 ·
I've been looking for a new mini high torque starter for my 440/727. Anyone run the no name starters from ebay? Are they reliable? It's very tempting spending $60-$90 for a starter. But with my luck if I buy a cheap starter it will die as soon as the headers are on. o[

#2 ·
When I had my generator shop, we had an in house starter and alternator shop. We had access to all sorts of low buck stuff. I was buying these chinese mini starters for Chevys for 59 dollars. I would sell them out of my trunk for 75 bucks apiece at hot rod night. Out of maybe 60, I had one come back. I replaced the gear on it and never heard from the guy again. I bought the mopar one for myself, had no problem and my friend has one on his Camaro for six years now. I think they're ok.

#6 ·
Wow that makes me happy. I guess I'll take the chance and buy one. That guy who sells them on ebay sold a lot of stuff and has a 100% feedback. Sounds good to me! nanr

#9 ·
68prostdart said:
I've been looking for a new mini high torque starter for my 440/727. Anyone run the no name starters from ebay? Are they reliable? It's very tempting spending $60-$90 for a starter. But with my luck if I buy a cheap starter it will die as soon as the headers are on. o[
hahahahahahaha!!!! man, i have the same luck as you!!! i can just picture that in my head, the damn thing not workin as soon as i bolt them headers on!! reminds me of a chevy chase movie... that made me laugh...

#12 ·
There was a seller on eBay that gave a lifetime warranty no questions ask replacement. He was more expensive than the other sthough at $90.00. Of course I haven't seen him lately (Haven't really looked either). Of course where will he be in 10-15 years anyways?
I bought a few of them (New, not the remans) and paid ~$75.00 shipped for most of them.
Never had a problem yet, but thanks to that statement they will surely all fail the next time I try to start them.

#13 ·
Find an alternator / starter rebuild shop in you area. I found one in Garden grove, and to get all of my stuff up to marine specs (read:$$$) I spent less than you would think. I rebuilt a olds 455 starter upgraded to marine specs, A 90 amp delco alt (upgraded to marine 1 wire), and a Mopar BB start (also upgraded to marie specs). I spent a total of $110. They wanted $199 for a new Olds marine starter alone.

A good shop will use all new parts, unlike Kragen or wherever that will replace the one part that is bad and leave the other 100K mile ready to go at anytime parts in there...

#14 ·
The napa thing sounds nice because of the warranty. But is it the same size as the stock starter? And how about the wieght? The ebay starters claim 9 lbs compared to 20 lbs.

#17 ·
Cool I like the idea of going to napa and getting the starter in person. Thanks for the good tip! P.S. dammit Ciscodog it takes me like five minutes to read whatever you write, I keep getting distracted.... ::)

#19 ·
yeah the ones on ebay are fine i have 2 of them one started my 14 to 1 stroker no problem ,the core charge will kill ya last time i checked it was 75 bucks or more and its just the same reman stuff off e bay ,some of the ones on e bay are brand new not remans but they are not 50 bucks either

#20 ·
After reading this thread I decided to buy two more... lol
I got the ones from seller 'dbelectrical' also.
They are NEW (not remanufacturerd) and were $64.95 each ($52.95 + $12.00 shipping). I could have saved $6.00 on shipping the second one, but decided to purchase it using my fathers eBay account so he can get some more feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...y.com:80/?from=R40&satitle=140195870985&fvi=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...y.com:80/?from=R40&satitle=140195094036&fvi=1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.