Big Block Dart Forums banner

Stoker kit..440Source or Eagle Spec???

11K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  71and done 
#1 ·
Looking to buy a new 500" stroker kit...Which would you buy? 440Source kit or Eagle Spec..
Both come with forged cranks.and h beam rods,but 440S comes with 2618 forged pistons and ES comes with Mahle 4032 for ged pistons..I can actually get the ES kit all ready balanced from Eagle cheaper then the 440S kit!

So which would be your choice?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Muscle Motors is the way to go. Either way to go don't pay for the balance up front. Have your machine shop do it.

#5 ·
Good point.
I might try calling a couple known MoPar builders and see what they could put together for you.
You might be surprised.
I just tripped over to M/M's web site for a look and they are both competitive in pricing and have a good reputation.
Depending on where you park your car , there might be one close enough to you that you could save on shipping and develop a personal relationship with the guy who's fingerprints will be on the parts before yours.

#4 ·
I have heard better things about Eagle with the exception of their I beam SIR rods , but I don't have experience with either.
Now.........if you asked about a BRC billet crank , Crower rods and JE slugs , I could give you some insights.
Check everything , whichever you decide on.
Word round the campfire is that crank journals have taper and dimensions are spotty in terms of consistency with a lot of off shore shafts , but some guys have gotten good parts out of the box.
It is roughly apples to apples with these , so if you can get one balanced for the same money , I'd look that way.
Eagle used to be made in eastern Europe......Poland if I recall , and I trust their metallurgy far more than anything Chi Com.
But I think their stuff is now Chinese as well.
Just double check everything before you start screwing it together.
Another factor is customer service I suppose , so it would depend on which Eagle distributor you buy from.
I hear mixed about the source , but mostly good.

#7 · (Edited)
Hecho en china...I got some myself...they have to be checked. Muscle motors has a story for every part. They even admit stuff coming from china...it's how you check it and correct it.

#8 ·
I have no had 2 , that right 2 eagle cranks go south in short order where a STOCK cast crank would have been fine. . . .

So if you can weld and stroke it or BUY a real american made crank do it.... or take the motor out 3 times and on the 3rd time lose the junk.....

I have never broke a cast crank, but 2 eagle forged cranks

#11 ·
a guy i know builds a lot of pontiacs, he always uses the eagle stuff, he says even with that since it went to china, the quality isnt the best. on all the different mopar sites ive seen a few complaints on the tolerance on the eagle rods out of the box. china vs china, id almost say let the price determine.
i never heard of icon pistons. how are they? i was wanting to build a 451 out of a 400 block, but the only way to keep cheap with a precut used crank, the cheapest i found was 440source pistons, and eagle rods from mancini. the cost isnt too far off from a 440source 4.15 stroker kit. i was just really curious about thier pistons.

#13 ·
Hi,
I've had good luck with my 440Source stroker kit. I suppose the Eagle kit is fine also. The engine builder should always double check the tolerances.

#15 ·
I have about 3 years on my 383 to 496 kit from 440 Source. No problems here. There was a little variance with rod bearing clearance from journal to journal, but it was all within what I considered acceptable tolerances. I beat on the motor. Take it up to 6 grand every time I'm in it and it still runs awesome.
-Jay

#18 · (Edited)
The Icon pistons are made by United Machine and they make several pistons including Keith Black pistons. Icon pistons come with the 440 Source kits. I only had a problem with 440 source crank not being balance like they said it was. My machine shop had to add weight to the crank. Also it had about 20 passes on the 440 source rods and #2 rod decided to leave the block. I am still using the same 440 source crank, but decided to use Manley I beam rods. I got about 30 more passes on this build and shift at 6700 rpm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.