Big Block Dart Forums banner

Torsion Bar Ideas

6K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  urchinhead 
#1 ·
I have stock torsion bars in my '64 A body right now, with no sway bars. I'm keeping it small block, and desperately need to upgrade the handling. What are the largest ( or best suited ) torsion bars to use for city driving and a little stop-light tag? I was thinking about using the .920, but was worried it might be overkill. What about the .890? Mancini sells even larger 1.090, but I think they're appropriate for drag racing and non- street driving only. Ideas? Also, I keep hearing that I don't want a rear sway bar. ??? ???Mopar Performance Parts offers torsion bars for "A", "B", and "E" body cars in a variety of diameters for restorations, performance and racing. Improve the suspension performance and increase cornering ability or weight transfer of your vehicle with these Mopar Performance Parts torsion bar sets. The "A" body bars are 35.7" long; the "B" and "E" body bars are 41" long. Thaes sets bolt right in to stock locations without modifications. (sold as sets)

MOPAR - .810" Diameter - "A" body
Drag Race Applications
$299.00
MOPP5249148
MOPAR - .890" Diameter - "A" body
Restoration for 383 cars, improved "A" engine handling
$289.95
MOPP5249150

MOPAR - .920" Diameter - "A" body
Performance handling, solo racing
$289.95
MOPP5249151
MOPAR - 1.090" Diameter - "A" body
1/4 or 1/2 mile circle track racing
$149.95
MOPP5249154

MOPAR - .920" Diameter - "B" & "E" body
Fits 1966-71 B Body Cars

Restoration for 440 and Hemi cars, improved "A" engine handling.
$179.95
MOPP5249157
MOPAR - .960" Diameter - "B" & "E" body
Fits 1966-71 B Body Cars

Improved "B/RB" and Hemi handling
$189.95
MOPP5249158

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm running the 890 bars in a 65 Cuda. I have a 1 1/8 front Adcco sway bar and a helwig 1' rear. I run Koni's all round, although I havn't run the car with the rear sway bar yet, it handled great with out it. Since the last time I drove the car I have moved the rear spring in, so I thought I would have more of a need for a rear sway bar now. I was running 225 50r16's front and 245 50 16's rear. My car has a 360 with a 4sp in it.
It did get a little rough on poor pavement but overall I wouldn't change a thing, maybe I would even run the 920 bars!

#4 ·
I've heard about the .990 bars, but who sells those? That's everything Mancini listed for A bodies up there. I rebuilt the front end with the PST rubber kit, and threw on the cheapie KYB shocks ( the car came with no rear shocks and rusted together originals in the front ). Should I just plan on tossing the KYBs pretty soon?

#10 ·
The .990" bars that were in my son's Barracuda were MP parts. The ride was not bad. I haven't driven it with the 1.14s it has now, but he said they aren't bad and he's got KYBs which some people say are objectionably stiff. Maybe it's because he's never had a soft daily driver.

#11 ·
i would recommend the .990 bars, i have them and they dramatically improve the handling and are very tolerable on the street, driving down the road is fine, only problem is areas in the roads that were repaired 5 or so years ago, just hits a little harder, but its fine

a 1 or 1 1/8 bar in the front would be a great addition and shocks would be even better,

G
#12 ·
I have the .920 bars with IAC shocks and a 1" bar on my 68 Barracuda, the ride is firm but not harsh. I have 255/50-17's all around and it sticks good, frankly I don't have a rear bar and won't until I get subframe connectors and reinforce the chassis. There is some nasty trailing throttle oversteer and chassis flex now. Since the .990 bars are not avalible anymore-I've seached any listed on websites have been N.A. in the RW. HTH, STeve

#13 ·
Our daily driver has the .920- torsion bars, Addco 1 1/8" Front sway bars, gas shocks up front, Air shocks out back. Also a set of the 2" X 3" welded frame stiffeners. It handles better than I expected... and while it's no Porsche, or even close to the handling of my '92 Camaro (on KYB shocks) our Dart does quite well for what it is on the street.

We ran it for about 6 months without a sway bar, but when we put that in, it made a noticeable difference in handling.

#15 ·
I'm not trying to talk trash, but from my recollection, 5.0s handle pretty damn well and '92 Camaros handle like crap. When I was in high school, I got to drive plenty of my friends' Mustangs and Camaros. I'm really thinking about the .990 bars, but now I'm hearing that they're no longer available. ? ??? ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.