Big Block Dart Forums banner

74 Duster build on the cheap-big Tire in stock wheelwell

7K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  womanator 
#1 ·
I bought this Duster at a auto auction.$650.One of my twins talked me into building it for him to race.

Bought it without the hoodscoop and tire's but with the Mexichrome Flames

It had a /6,disc brakes,7 1/4 rearend.

At the same auction a few weeks later there was a mud bogger that had a 440,got it on the cheap like the car.$500 and it came with a 8 3/4 rearend with a 489 carrier with 4.10 gears.

Install of the 440,Schumacher headers and motor mounts,Perf RPM intake,Holley 780 carb,stock distributor ,Mallory coil and a 78 Ford 3/4 ton radiator

Installed the line lock.Ok the pics not good.

Installed a 8 1/4 reaend with 3.91 gears from a roundy round car with a auburn diff.
At this point of the build we were still using the colume shifter.
Installed water and oil gage.
Installed tach and the shift light.
At this point the car ran12.22 and went 11.59 with a 100 hp of juice

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: 74 Duster build on the cheap

During this last winter my son talked me into puting on a set of Stage 6 Mopar heads that were milled down to 68 cc's.
Giving the engine a comp ratio of 10.1 to 1.

Stage 6 heads

My tranny sponsor put together a tranny for my son
Red clutch's,kolleen steels,Coan alum drum,rearsuport bearing,hardened shafts and super sprag.
3200 stall conv with anti balloning plate for the nitrios.
Ok the tranny not on the cheap.

#4 ·

Installed B and M shifter.

Installed Rollbar and the sfi stuff to be able to run the juice this summer.
Removed the heater in the car so I could get valve covers on the car that would seal.
The kids took the car to the track last weekend and ran a 11.70.
I was in Ohio and was trying to tune the car over the phone.
with a little more tuning it should be in the 11.50's.

Installed a alum radiator and trans cooler.

Total cost minus the trans and convetor is under $7000

#5 ·

When the boys took the car to the track they told me that the car was nosing over at the big end and didn't want to pull over 5000 rpm.
I got thinking about this problem and after thinking a little I remembered that we had taken off the dist hold down to put it on the scamp we are  putting together.

So I asked them what the timing was at.
30 degrees total,Told them to bump it up to 34 and go run it again.
The car ran  12.06 on the last run and Jon then ran a 11.70.
Attention to details.

G
#7 ·

Good lucking car for the investment. Knowing the rear came outta a roundy-round car makes a little more sense. What was the roundy-round car and do you think the guy stepped up to better splines? (they are out there)

#8 ·

The rear came off a asphalt car and the axels are aftermarket.
I pick up this rearend about 8-9 years ago and it was just taking up space in the garage for years.
It first went in the 67 dart and we put on maybe 60 passes before upgrading to a 8 3/4.
If I had to do it again the cost of upgrading the rear would be the same as upgrading the 8 3/4.
Funny thing is,is that we have an 8 3/4 waiting to go in when the 8 1/4 gets weak.
This car is one of those cars that you get once in a while and it runs better than you think it will.
It's a great car for my son to drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.