Big Block Dart Forums banner

Prop./ Brake valve

97K views 91 replies 40 participants last post by  Pendelton 
#1 ·
Ok guys, i need to know what you did as far as your proportional valve after the disc conversion. My car is a 70 dart and i put 73' discs up front.

I have what is believed to be a 73-76 A body prop valve. when i place it up on the frame, none of the lines match up , as far as size and rear/ front ports . It really looks like i have to make all new brake lines . doh

Is this what you guys had to do---or how did you route everything ?

#9 ·
Sorry,

A= master cylinder marked F for front, be careful it's actually the rear reservoir.
B= right front brake
C= left front brake
D= rear brakes. They'll split downstream
E= Master cylinder marked R, again be careful this is the front or usually smaller reservoir.

B & C probably can be either way but A & E have to be correct. You want the larger reservoir to apply the front brakes.

Thanks to Ryan from N.H. for applying the letters to the picture.

#11 ·
I have a extra a-body proportional valve but it is packed for the move that we are making this weekend. If you do not find one and are interested in the one that I have just let me know and I will look for it next week.

#91 ·
Need proportion valve help.

I'm ready to do my brakeline installation in my 68 Dart with Wildwood discs up front and I have 3 proportioning valves all from a bodies. All with different #s. Does anyone have info on how to identify these?. I'd hate to use the wrong one.I notice info has been deleted from this thread.

Thanks in Advance!

#16 ·
Weird...the bottom one looks like a B or E-body valve; The one I pulled for my brake swap came from a 74 Swinger with single-piston calipers and looks like the one ski posted. The other ones look like the valve I pulled out of my 74 Charger...I'm a little confused, also. ??? If it is a dual-piston/single-piston difference, would either one work?

#19 ·
I'll see if I can dig out a 72 and earlier that went with the 4 piston K/H type. If I remember right they look similar to the one I posted but not exactly. It may take me a couple days to locate one. Hey 496dart I would just get a 35 dollar adjustable one and plumb it into your rear brakes.

G
#23 ·
I believe the factory started doing a slow transition from brass prop valves to the cast iron ones around the early 70's. Earliest example I can recall of seeing a cast iron valve is in a 71-72 C b body, then I think the E bodies got them in 72 or 73, probably the B bodies around then. I've seen brass valves in A bodies through 74 but after that in 75 most if not all had the cast iron valves. It's just a matter of the factory using up whatever they had in stock and then switching over to something else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.