HELP!! I BENT MY STEERING COLUMN SHAFT....
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: HELP!! I BENT MY STEERING COLUMN SHAFT....

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

HELP!! I BENT MY STEERING COLUMN SHAFT....

Does anyone know what others will fit for a 1968 dart? Can I get a used tube and replace it? I was trying to knock out the steel pin that holds the pads on in the steering coupler. My car is manual steering. Any help with possible donor years and makes or someone that has one for sale would be greatly appreciated. I've rebuilt the entire front suspension and decided that I might as well rebuild the coupler.....wish now that I would've left it alone. Thanks guys and gals!!!
    If it's not broke, break it so you can fix it better...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you bend the shaft or the tube? If it's the shaft, you may get lucky and be able to straighten it. Try it, you have nothing to lose at this point. Is it a column shift car or floor shift? I would imagine that any similar column from '67-'68-'69-'70 would fit but I'm not 100% sure so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Rule of thumb when re-building the couplers, if the pin's ok leave it alone. I tried to get mine out and as soon as I saw that it wasn't going to cooperate I scrapped the idea.

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I thought about leaving the pin in,but my plastic bushing that is held on by two screws was melted beyond use and wanted to get the pin out to replace it. It is the actual metal shaft that is bent. I tried hitting the pin from the other side where I was hitting it from that caused it to bend. It looks better but I am worried that if it's not perfect that it will not line up in the coupler right. Maybe I am being to critical on the straightness of it but I would hate to get it all together and have to pull it back out. Thanks for the response. Please if anyone can help me please chime in.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention it is a manual steer,automatic on column although I now have converted over to auto on the floor but I never opted to replace it with an auto on the floor column....

Post Thanks / Like
    The shaft can be remove from the housing. Pull the steering wheel and the turn signal switch. There is a snap ring holding the shaft to the upper bearing. Remove the snap ring and the shaft should come out the bottom of the column.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info on removing the shaft. Does anyone have a shaft laying around that will work? Does it matter if it comes from a power steering or manual steering car and what years will work? Thanks.

BBD GOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    you have to have a manual as the power is too short. try putting it in a shop press to straighten it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    "bOb Built" (no matter how many times it takes) Hidden Content

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob. Do you know what years will work? It is hard around my area to find 68 dart parts. I've checked around several parts yards with no luck yet. I thought if I could get one from a different year that might help with my search. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try 67 thru 72 for years

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    I called a local parts yard and he said his books show 67 and 68 as the same. Can someone confirm 100% what I can use if I would even just replace the shaft. Thanks...

BBD GOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is just a guess but i'd say it's one of those parts that don't get changed from year to year as it would cut down on ma mopars profits. try any year a-body that you can find that has a manual box.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    "bOb Built" (no matter how many times it takes) Hidden Content

Post Thanks / Like
    .........probably changed the year they took the ignition switch out of the dashboard and put it in the column.

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got the steering column back in (just straightened it the best I could) and the wheels turn when I turn the steering wheel,so I guess it's ok? We'll see soon!!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Where are you located?
    I have one from my 71 demon.
    It is a manual steering auto- column.
    If you can measure your shaft we can
    compare lengths.. LOL.. that just sounds wrong.

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 440Demon View Post
    Where are you located?
    I have one from my 71 demon.
    It is a manual steering auto- column.
    If you can measure your shaft we can
    compare lengths.. LOL.. that just sounds wrong.
    Hello, I am located in Paris Illinois. I think that I am good with the column now. I straightened it out as good as I could and installed it. The wheels turn when I turn the steering wheel , so Maybe it will be ok?? Where are you located? Anyone close to my area on here? Thanks.
    Last edited by 68DART400STROKER; 10-28-2010 at 11:39 AM.