From power to manuel steering!
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: From power to manuel steering!

Post Thanks / Like

From power to manuel steering!

I am switching from power to manuel steering and need to extend the steering shaft. What is the safest and least expensive way to accomplish this task? Do I need to take the steering column out of the car? I have heard that the large coupler box on the steering shaft is not safe at all, what can I use to replace this? I saw someone mention a steering coupler is the best route to go. Where can I get this item and is it safe? Let me say in advance Happy New Year to all of the family and thanks for your advice!!! Be safe and God bless you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

BBD LEGEND
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same thought about the coupler and going over 110 mph.
    Here's the coupler on my 67 Dart.
    From Jegs

Post Thanks / Like
    Womanator that is a great pic. The next question is what is the best way for me to extend the steering shaft? Does Jegs sell those extendors as well?

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    I have just this extension piece. Not sure what to call it. I'll try to get a picture of it up here for you.

Its fitted for the splines and just basically connects the power steering shaft to the manual box. Pretty easy to install and cost about $100 if i remember right.
    Fast new time of 11.39 @ 116... 12.26 @ 108 MPH

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

BBD LEGEND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wife uses the adapter for a paper weight.

BBD LEGEND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gospel Runner View Post
    Womanator that is a great pic. The next question is what is the best way for me to extend the steering shaft? Does Jegs sell those extendors as well?
    I a firm believer in using the right part for the job.
    So i would get a manuel steering shaft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by womanator View Post
    I had the same thought about the coupler and going over 110 mph.
    Here's the coupler on my 67 Dart.
    From Jegs

womanator, is that the 3/4 36 spline to 3/4 dd? which manufacturer (sorry for the spelling)? im going to be going this route very soon. but i want to weld the unsplined end to the factory steering shaft.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my u-joint on e-bay from Bryke Racing (circle track guys) It was 3/4 36 spline by 3/4 round. I just knocked the factory pin out of the shaft and drilled the u-joint and secured it with a new pin and cotter pin. Mine was a manual column, I think the steering shaft diameter may be different on a power steering column, but they have a lot of different sizes.
    Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Womanator you are hillarious, ( a paper weight). Is that the extension shaft you are showing as a paper weight? Forgive my ignorance in this matter, this is new territory for me. Qkcuda those pictures are perfect. Thanks so much for all of your responses. When I get these parts, I will share the progress pics!!!

BBD LEGEND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gospel Runner,
    That is the extension piece that is needed and yes my wife uses it as a paper weight.

U can get just a steering shaft and change out shafts instead of using the adapter.
    Thats why I have another spare part.

I don't have the part # but it's in JEGS.

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    flaming river sells the adapter also seen it at mancini racing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone tell me how to get that box off of the steering shaft? Do I have to use a screwdriver and pry off the top of the box or can I use a hammer and just pound it off?

Post Thanks / Like
    No need to respond I got it off. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered the part yesterday through Mancini. I called Jegs and they said they did not have the part I needed and they gave me the number for Mancini. The tech guy I was talking to said he had just called Mancini and they had they carried the part. I thought that was unusual but I am not mad at them. As long as I get the right part I am OK with it. I have several pics that I have taken that I need to reduce in size so I can post them for you gentlemen. Is the picture posting process the same as it used to be? If it has changed I would appreciate a heads up if you know how to do it. Thanks again!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered the part yesterday through Mancini. I called Jegs and they said they did not have the part I needed and they gave me the number for Mancini. The tech guy I was talking to said he had just called Mancini for me and they had the part. I thought that was unusual but I am not mad at them. As long as I get the right part I am OK with it. I have several pics that I have taken that I need to reduce in size so I can post them for you gentlemen. Is the picture posting process the same as it used to be? If it has changed I would appreciate a heads up if you know how to do it. Thanks again!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a hard time getting the metal dowel out of the steering shaft. I had to fabricate a jig to drive it out with a pitman are puller. It bent a piece of 1/4" steel like it was plastic. Then I used a piece of 1/2" steel and it came out without bending.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gospel Runner View Post
    I had a hard time getting the metal dowel out of the steering shaft. I had to fabricate a jig to drive it out with a pitman are puller. It bent a piece of 1/4" steel like it was plastic. Then I used a piece of 1/2" steel and it came out without bending.
    I had the column out of the car, so I put mine in the bench vice with a socket over one end and it pressed right out. You will find that it is an odd sized hole. I think a 5/16 bolt was a loose fit. I wanted the pin to be a snug fit, so I ended up drilling it out to 3/8, and found a 3/8 pin at the local hardware store. I have headers, so I couldn't use a bolt and nut. The flat headed pin and cotter pin arrangment gave me the clearance I needed. I did have to grind a small flat on the collar for the head to sit flush.

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are all of the columns and boxes the same? I've got a '74 Dart with power steering . I have a manual box for it, but I don't know what it came out of.

BBD GOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    "bOb Built" (no matter how many times it takes) Hidden Content

Post Thanks / Like
    Also half the parts you guys buy from Mancini, jeg's ,etc.. can be
    bought from this website through Bill.. you guys should be concidering
    that since we all use this site. (for free).