Headers that fit? 440 big block '85 w150
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Headers that fit? 440 big block '85 w150

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

Headers that fit? 440 big block '85 w150

Hey fellas,
    I have an 85 dodge w150 that we dropped a 440 in back in the 90's. i'm trying to find a set of headers that will fit this application, but the only thing that i could come across were the bouchillon performance engineering set, and when i called them, they said that hooker or hedman, whoever makes their headers for them, changed their tooling, and they no longer get the same fitment.
    so does anyone know of any headers that will fit my truck? i was thinking that headers for a '78 440 would fit, but i'm not sure... cause a set of headers for a 360 in a '78 and a 360 in an 85 were different part numbers... but i'm going to call a body shop tomorrow and see if the frames are the same.

I just really don't want to have to smash a set of headers to get them to fit. to my understanding, the whole point of headers is they decrease resistance to flow. So all four tubes must have the same losses with different length pipes, so when they all meet up, the air from each tube has the same pressure and velocity. so when you smash the tubes to fit, that all goes out the window.
    sorry for the rambling
    anyway...any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks,
    Pete

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you looked into Schumacher? www.engine-swaps.com

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

schumakers

just looked on the website and didn't see anything. gonna call them when i get outta here in another hour. thanks for the info

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Jack View Post
    I think so. They are the block hugging shorty headers.

Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

1968 Dodge Dart 440 Big Block, Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads, Performer RPM intake, Holley 770 CFM Street Avenger, .541/.538 lift hydraulic roller cam, Harland Sharp 1.6 Ratio Roller Rockers..Crane Roller lifters..580 Final lift, MSD pro-billet distributor, MSD ignition, 355 Auburn Suregrip 8 3/4 rear end.

Hidden Content

1977 Dodge Aspen R/T...318...4 speed tranny with 355 gears in a 8 1/4" rear.

BBD GOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    "bOb Built" (no matter how many times it takes) Hidden Content

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure if it would be the same or not, but I just used Hedman headers in my 79 dodge with a 440.
    Hidden Content
    440/500" Stroker. Cnc'd Indy ez heads. Comp Solid Flat cam.
    Indy Single W/ 1000HP Holley - 763hp at 6700 680tq at 5300
    All on pump gas!
    10.2 at 135mph - 4 Speed - Street Car

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

not sure

this is all stuff that i am trying to find out. i know that everyone makes headers that fit a 78 and don't know if its the same as a 79 or an 85. as for the block hugging shorties...I also don't know. I assume they would probably still come down close to the frame and fabbing up the rest of the exhaust might be a problem if its right around the frame. i'm wondering if i can notch the frame a bit, if i would lose any strength if I did and what i would have to do to add strength back.. i definetly don't want to pull the motor to fab the frame for headers.

BBD LEGEND
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the headmans for my project. They are for the B motor in a 4x4.
    I dont have it in anything yet, just running on my engine stand. They fit in tight to the block.
    I think they will be tight around the driveshaft area.

I had the same type a few years back on a 1970 W200 W/440 and fit was great.

Also on a 78 Ramcharger 440 motor. They were tight at the top edge of the frame on,
    I believe the passenger side.

The shorties would give more room under for your front driveline.

Rick
    2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel - Daily driver, Hauler

1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief - Gen 3 Hemi- Turbocharged, running E85, 1 ton axles,
    4.56 gear on 38" tires - Toy in progress

Post Thanks / Like

Headers

Check This Guys Out. WWW.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEtruckKit.asp
    Charlie
    Last edited by hangtenduster; 05-10-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

BPE

Quote Originally Posted by hangtenduster View Post
    I actually called these guys. i talked to Randy, and he said that whoever made their headers for them, either hooker or hedman, has changed their jig, and they don't get the perfect fitment they used to. its ashame too, cause i was gonna buy em. he said it happened maybe 2-3 weeks before i called. so i'll probably end up calling them again in a few weeks when i'm ready and see if they got the bugs worked out.

thanks