1970 B5 blue Dart BUDGET BUILD! - Page 2
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1970 B5 blue Dart BUDGET BUILD!

Post Thanks / Like

slant 6 to small block mounts

Quote Originally Posted by bwdart View Post
    Car is looking great, I have a 69 dart with a slant six and have just picked up a 5.9 magnum for it. do you have any more details on the engine mounts what year of truck and whitch side?
    http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...ead.php?t=8004
    cesarbee440

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

a little sidetracked

Started on a housing to narrow for mopar44075.
    Was still able to make my little patch in the Dart trunk and find old pictures of the quarter panel slice repair. I like using the flanging tool for a lap weld with the patch panel,the piece will go underneath the cut quarter panel.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by cesarbee440; 06-20-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    cesarbee440

Post Thanks / Like
    you do great work my friend. you have alot of talent. says alot about your character when you are building a car to sell and make a little money but you dont cut corners. alot of guys just slap stuff together and pawn it off on the buyer. you are going to have a nice little dart when all is said and done.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by younggun2.0 View Post
    you do great work my friend. you have alot of talent. says alot about your character when you are building a car to sell and make a little money but you dont cut corners. alot of guys just slap stuff together and pawn it off on the buyer. you are going to have a nice little dart when all is said and done.
    For the compliment,again! But,if I wasn't cutting corners,I would be replacing the whole quarter panel and the whole trunk floor! The thing about this build is to keep it simple,cheap,use parts I already have or can get cheap and do as much work on it that I can handle.

Originally,I planned on not keeping this car because I have another which I consider to be in better shape. I'm treating this car like I would possibly keep it for myself but not be embarrassed of a hacked job if I sold it.

Next stop, powdercoat some parts and clean/paint engine bay!
    cesarbee440

Post Thanks / Like
    i think im going to take the weekend off of work. maybe i can swing by and give you a hand cleaning up and prepping the engine bay for paint.

Post Thanks / Like

helping hand

i think im going to take the weekend off of work. maybe i can swing by and give you a hand cleaning up and prepping the engine bay for paint.
    If you can pull out your old 8 3/4 rearend, we can stick the jig in it and figure out how best to straighten it. Maybe heat up opposite where they welded the backbrace.

Might just have to cut off the flanges and weld straight with the bar even though the line-up is offset.
    YES,I can use help as I always get distracted with shop stuff.
    cesarbee440

Post Thanks / Like

little change of pace!

My buddy and I started on this Bulletnose Studebaker in 1998 and have had it on hold. When he called last week so we can buy some brake parts and work on the car again,had to stop work on the Dart for a change of pace.

Also, the frame on the 1962 Corvette I sold to my uncle had been tearing for over a year because the upper shock bracket and shocks bottoming out so we decided to work on that also!

That master cylinder is a MOPAR PART! I do want to get back to the Dart!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by cesarbee440; 07-09-2012 at 02:57 AM.
    cesarbee440

Post Thanks / Like
    That bullet nose Stude is the cats ass! I love those cars!
    http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/jdavenport6/b-25011.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

back on the project

One of our bodyman decided to give me a hand straightening the patch I welded. He welded a row of studs on the crease and pulled with a wide flat vise grip with a slide hammer. They normally like to use body filler with fiberglass strands such as 'Dynaglass' over patch repairs then regular filler,this time he used a product by 'Upol' which was leftover from another repair. It was interesting watching him pull and use the body hammer.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by cesarbee440; 08-16-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    cesarbee440

Post Thanks / Like

small progress

The quarter panel was sanded down and finally primered. Now if I can start the engine bay so the engine can be dropped in!
    Attached Images
    cesarbee440

Post Thanks / Like
    that turned out great. have you started any work on the upper quarter patch? maybe after x-mas we can sit down and discuss what you have for the car and what it would cost for me to buy it. i should have a lil bit of money by then.

Post Thanks / Like

other qurter panel

that turned out great. have you started any work on the upper quarter patch? maybe after x-mas we can sit down and discuss what you have for the car and what it would cost for me to buy it. i should have a lil bit of money by then.
    One of our bodyman will do it this weekend! I want to get the engine bay painted so the engine can be dropped in.
    cesarbee440

Post Thanks / Like

sold car to my buddy!

Going to leave the build thread on here as I will still help my buddy finish this budget build! Now I can maybe concentrate on the rotisserie car and get it on the ground so it might sell faster!

The B5 blue Dart will reside in a big garage next to our bulletnose Studebaker project. It will get more attention now and it went for a bargain basement $1250! Car has a rebuilt 273,a 1974 904(998?) transmission and a 7 1/4 rear. I threw-in a 318 rebuildable longblock that I got for FREE in case he wanted a more period correct engine later,but why not just build a 340 then? Well,it's free! Maybe he liked the fact that I said the factory dual scoops can go for $400 on EBay and the unsilenced air cleaner for $200!...then again,maybe he just wants me to make my Philippine trip!

All good glass,hardly any more rusted areas and I will build my buddy a sbp 8 3/4 as I have spare parts laying around that nobody wanted!

Funny how three other people wanted the blue Dart after they found out it was being picked-up with a trailer!

So the budget build goes on!
    Attached Images
    cesarbee440

Post Thanks / Like

in good company!

The B5 blue Dart sitting in a nice big shop waiting to get some attention!
    New owner still on our Studebaker but anxious to get going on the Dart too!
    Attached Images
    cesarbee440

Post Thanks / Like

Dart needs attention!

Bulletnose almost ready for paint, Dart is next to get worked on!
    Attached Images
    cesarbee440

Post Thanks / Like

been a while

haven't been on here for a while but my buddy that bought the 1970 blue Dart finished the bulletnose Studebaker we were building and brought the Dart back to me because he is too busy to start another project.

Okay,okay, Studebaker has a Mopar master cylinder!
    Attached Images
    cesarbee440

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Nice

Post Thanks / Like
    welcome back. kind of inspiring to see an old build thread showing some progress.

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! congratulations !!!