1967 Dart GT Convertible question (series one?)
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: 1967 Dart GT Convertible question (series one?)

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

1967 Dart GT Convertible question (series one?)

Bear with me gang, 1. I'm new here (first post) and 2. this may get a little confusing. tl:dr at bottom.

I own a 67 Dart. Nothing speical slant 225 but it's my dream car and I never, for some reason, thought I would own one. It needs a lot of work but everytime I drive it, I feel like I am the coolest cat on the planet. I found it in a "bargain bin" on a classic cars for sale site. Talked the lady down a little and had it shipped to me. Fell in love with it before first sight but loved it even more when I first saw her in person! I'll post pics sometime but for right now, I have some questions.

I am new to the game. I've always loved old Mopar muscle cars, just never had the time or place to get one, but I know less than nothing about them. This is where you guys come in.

Driving around one day, I was looking in back yards and old buildings hoping to see something cool. Lo and behold, I see it. not sure what it was but it looked cool. We (my wife and I) continued on to our destination. I didn't say anything at the time because she's heard it before and she's not interested...

On the way back, I HAD to know what it was. It was white, looked like a convertible and was under an old falling apart shed. I pulled off the road near the place and immediatley my wife said "This is how people get shot" Unfortunately, between where we were and what it looked like I was doing, this freaked me out so I got out, ran over to the car looked at it and ran back.

Didn't take any pictures or anything, just left. I kicked myself the entire way home for not taking any pictures and getting spooked by her comment.

The mystery car lingered in the back of my mind for a few weeks. I decided to go back and check it out. It was far enough away that it would take the good part of an afternoon.

I convinced my wife to go, she was convinced nothing would come of it but she obviously doesn't understand the draw a mystery car in an old field under a broken shelter has.

First, I am not very outgoing at all and this is very uncharacteristic of me.

When we got there, I got out and went and took a few pictures immediately. I then walked to the house across the street and knocked on the door. I was scared as hell because as I said, I am not a very outgoing person. No answer. I drove all the way out here and was not leaving without a fight. Drove to the house in the lot next to the run down shelter, no answer. Drove to the house across the street from it.

Jackpot! The guy answered and the car and lot belonged to his uncle who lived over there on the other side. He told me he had tried to get the car from him but was unsuccessful but I could go try. I thanked him and drove to his uncles house. I knocked on the door, he answered, I told him his nephew sent me over here and he immediately said "Nope, it's not for sale!"

I had a feeling he had been approached before. So, just to satisfy my curiousity, I wanted to know about it.

Ok, here's where you guys come in. I showed him a picture of mine (to establish I was genuine) and said I have a '67. He then asked me if it was first or second series. This threw me for a loop because I didn't know. I asked him how I could tell and he said call the VIN to Dallas and they'll tell you. He said that's how he found out his was first series and the guy on the phone offered him $11,000 for it sight unseen.

I continued to talk to him, he told me all about the wiring that was messed up, how many people he had come to his door (including two senators(?)), the notes he gets on his door all the time, etc.

Ok, now for the details you have been hoping to get to while reading the wall of text (I'm sorry but I needed to establish back story).

He said it was a '67 Dart convertible first series.

He said he was going to fix it up but it's so rare that he has had problems findind a wiring harness for it.

On the way home I got to thinking. I don't think he was very educated, not to be mean but where I live, it's more common than not and I think he likes the "idea" of the car more than actually owning the car. I say this because, come on, you can find anything you want online. If he really wanted to find a wiring harness he could. UNLESS as he says "It's a series one and they are super rare!"

So, short story long... Is there such thing as a series one or two? I looked it up wikipedia and it says some GTS's were made late in the year but that tells me series two would be more rare. Also, from the grill it is only a GT. I have pictures and I know everyone will want to see them but I am hesitant to post them because hey, it's the internet and I don't want someone pulling the geo location tags off of them somehow and flooding this guys house with people and requests if it does turn out to be a rare car. If that's the case, I will work with someone that may have more resources than I do to figure out a way to get in contact with him.

Also, my skepticism comes because it was misisng the rear wheel but the front one had a very new rim on it, definitely not an original piece, so right off the bat, it's not original. He may have the originals somewhere but they weren't in a place near the car.

So, if you've made it this far, thanks and please be gentle. Like I said, I'm new to to the game and just trying to get some learnin'!

tl:dr : Found a car in a field, tracked down owner, owner says its a rare series one 1967 Dart convertible. Not sure if series one or two exists or if he's just full of it. Does anyone know? If so, how do I go about finding more information on them?
    Last edited by fi5thelement; 01-04-2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: added a tl:dr

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    The guy is full of poo. No such thing as a series anything when it comes to 1967 Darts. There were some special models and options, but only the GTS was a late year addition. If it's a convertible, it's a GT or GTS. If it's a GTS it's got a 383. And, NOBODY offered him $11k sight unseen, UNLESS it's a GTS.

Just my opinion, but I bought my first A-body in late 1978 and have owned my 1968 GTS convertible since 1983. Send the pics to my e-mail [email protected] and I'll take a look at them.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

4. Thankswomanator, fi5thelement thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And there's your answer, "The Gospel According to Jim."

Nobody here knows more about this subject than Jim.

Codfish

DRIVE A HYBRID.* I NEED YOUR GAS!!!

Hidden Content

11.09 @ 119.4 in FULL street trim at a slim 3800 lbs Hidden Content

6. Thanksfi5thelement thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, never heard of anybody in Dallas or named Dallas that was an "expert".

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

8. Thanksfi5thelement thanked for this post
    Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I thought...

Thank you so much for reading through the wall of text. Once I started thinking about it, I realized, he has got to be full of BS... I may not know much about these things yet but, most people would jump at the chance to sell a car for $11,000 sight unseen, especially if it were collecting mold/rust in a field.

Like I said, I think he likes the "idea" of the car more than the car which is a shame because it could really be a great project. He probably loves having people knock on his door and ask him about it.

Oh well, thanks again for the advice. Here are a couple of pictures. I re-sized them but if you would like to see the full size to see if you can get any fine details out of them, let me know and I will send them to you.
    Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what the pictures tell me. The car very likely has a slant six (although all emblems are missing from the right fender, it could be a 273 car, two barrel or four). It is a 1967 Dart GT convertible. It also has factory AC (not possible with a 383). As it sits, I'd put top value around $2k. If he were to clean it up and it were to run, maybe a little more, but no way $11k...

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Jim's word of Poo. My fat cat stinks up the whole house with it's two day poo.
    Eric Bremer
    Tomball TX 77375

1968 Dodge Dart 440 Big Block, Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads, Performer RPM intake, Holley 770 CFM Street Avenger, .541/.538 lift hydraulic roller cam, Harland Sharp 1.6 Ratio Roller Rockers..Crane Roller lifters..580 Final lift, MSD pro-billet distributor, MSD ignition, 355 Auburn Suregrip 8 3/4 rear end.

Hidden Content

1977 Dodge Aspen R/T...318...4 speed tranny with 355 gears in a 8 1/4" rear.

BBD GOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy at least he left the windows down

"bOb Built" (no matter how many times it takes) Hidden Content