Big Block Dart Forums banner

check out the new RMS rear suspension ..(pics)

113K views 172 replies 66 participants last post by  Pendelton 
#1 ·
cruised 2 hours up to bill's place yesterday and helped him install his street lynx system in my dart....

what a long day.. i left the house at 5:30 am and didn't get home till 11pm.

what a cool system. car rides and handles allot better. it really sticks to the road now. even with the crappy tires i have on the car..  still want to adjust a few things but man does the car ride nice now... had to trash my tail pipes because they were in the way of the upper arms but it looks like there is pleanty of room for new ones. god i hope so because the car is loud with out them..lol.

See less See more
G
#153 ·
Re: check out my new RMS rear suspension ..(pics)

I imagine sooner or later we'll do an early B - it's only a matter of getting an early B in here to do it. Since we have most brackets already made, it's a fairly simple affair to do a new body style.

#160 ·

That looks killer Bill!  Just curious- does welding those brackets on tweak the housing at all?

Would someone be able to weld the brackets on w/ it assembled and filled with gear oil and be confident that the rear is still straight??

G
#161 ·

Technically, it warps the housing. If you talk to an axle builder, they'll tell you that all brackets should be welded before the housing ends are attached because the tubes warp.
I don't worry about it though. This rear was slightly warped when I got it in original form, and this is the second time I welded the 4 seats on bottom and the tabs on top. This is the same axle that you see in the inboard leaf spring tech page, so it's been welded on all over the place a number of times. It's still only warped about the same as it was when I got it, and I never had any troubles with it.

And if you're going to use the original spring seats, the only welding required is the upper link tabs - the second set of seats does not have to be welded. I weld those top tabs on assembled rears all the time without a problem. This rear just had brackets all over the place, so I decided to clean it all right off and start from scratch.

G
#164 ·
Yea, I don't want to mess with the rod end links. I fear once it's together, I won't have much interest in looking under it, so I figured it'd be best to use the bushing links so I can just forget about it. The rod ends should be checked once in a while to make sure the jam nuts don't loosen.
By the end of the day here, the last thing I want to do is look at more suspension...

#165 ·
Bill_Reilly said:
Yea, I don't want to mess with the rod end links. I fear once it's together, I won't have much interest in looking under it, so I figured it'd be best to use the bushing links so I can just forget about it. The rod ends should be checked once in a while to make sure the jam nuts don't loosen.
By the end of the day here, the last thing I want to do is look at more suspension...

guess i better check mine huh.. i never did after it was on the alignment rack.. ooops.lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.