Say hello to Mr. Jingles
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Say hello to Mr. Jingles

Post Thanks / Like

Say hello to Mr. Jingles

This is Mr. Jingles, better known as "cat", "shi_bag" or whatever else he might get called at the time. He was named at the pound, where I promptly rescued him from two years ago. My ex-wife got me hooked on cats before she left, and this is the best one yet. He doesn't fetch, doesn't come when you call him, hell, he doesn't really do anything other than eat and sleep, and get on things he's not supposed to get on (like the kitchen bar in the photo). But at the end of the day, when I flop down into the recliner, he's right up there in my lap, where we can both get a good nap before bed time! LOL!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    kudos to you for rescuing Mr. Jingles/ cat/ shi_bag.

Ted

Post Thanks / Like
    It's the only way I ever get new pets. I refuse to support any type of puppy/kitty mills. There are far too many really good pets waiting in shelters these days for a good home. Just wish I had a bigger place so I could give a few more a home.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
    It's the only way I ever get new pets. I refuse to support any type of puppy/kitty mills. There are far too many really good pets waiting in shelters these days for a good home. Just wish I had a bigger place so I could give a few more a home.
    Well said and I TOTALLY agree with you! Animals absolutely know when you've saved their lives and given them a second chance as part of your family and they will repay you every single day by returning your love ten times over!

Here in Arizona, I believe that they've just recently passed a law that makes it illegal for pet stores to sell dogs and cats from puppy or kitty farms because of the terrible conditions found at most of those types of places. Best damn law that they've ever passed in my humble opinion!

By the way, I think Mr Jingles is a very cool looking kitty!

Richard

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish they'd pass that law here. Seems every month or two, one of the news channels is doing an expose on another mill. Just want to strangle the owners. My dad is a retired Veterinarian and my whole life, I've had to see what the effects of those mills can be.

And Mr. Jingles thanks you as well! As he sits here on the desk, between me and the keyboard, eating the strings on my hoodie. LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish they'd pass that law here. Seems every month or two, one of the news channels is doing an expose on another mill. Just want to strangle the owners. My dad is a retired Veterinarian and my whole life, I've had to see what the effects of those mills can be.

And Mr. Jingles thanks you as well! As he sits here on the desk, between me and the keyboard, eating the strings on my hoodie. LOL!
    Mr Jingles is very cool indeed!

And now please forgive me for this long and more serious reply, but I just need to write this since we are talking about something that is obviously VERY important to both of us Downtime!

My Dad was in the Banking business all of his working life and through his community business contacts, he knew all of the folks who ran the Arizona Humane Society shelters in the Phoenix area.

Knowing how much I loved animals, he made it possible for me to work at one of their shelters on Saturdays and for a few hours a day during the summer months while I was on summer break from school when I was around 9 years old back in the mid 1960's.

I worked there for two or three years making a whopping fifty cents an hour taking care of the animals by cleaning their kennels, exercising them and loving them at every chance I could. I also saw things that REALLY opened my young eyes to the terrible things that some folks did and still do to animals, as well as seeing dog and cat owners who would drop off complete litters of puppies and kittens almost every day because they wouldn't be responsible enough to spay, or neuter their pets. Back in those days, we didn't have many, if any of the "no kill" shelters that we have today, so needless to say, MANY of those beautiful puppies and kittens, as well as many others of all ages were put to sleep because of the huge numbers of them being brought to the shelters. It was just too much for me to see and deal with at that young age, so I had to stop working there.

Before I left though, I did save the life of one VERY special Bassett Hound! She was about a year and a half old and was brought to the shelter by her previous owners because she was very sick due to internal female issues and they couldn't afford her medical bills.

She was extremely quite due to not feeling well and being abandoned by her family, so she wouldn't react when people would walk by her kennel, but whenever I would come to care for her, she would come over to see me and would give me kisses, so we bonded immediately and I guess that in reality, we adopted each other.

When I told the folks at the shelter that I wanted to adopt her with the money I had earned working there, they told me that she was very sick and that I should really pick another dog because they weren't sure if she was going to survive or not.

I had already named her Gladys and I told them flat out that I did NOT want another dog, I wanted her, so I went as an 11 year old kid on a mission to the Vets at the shelter and begged them to try and save her for me. I even promised that I'd work extra hours to pay for her medical care.

Well, to make a long story shorter, after seeing and listening to this 11 year old kid begging to save a dogs life that everybody else had given up on, not only did they perform all of the necessary surgeries and follow up medical care for me, they did it all for free!

After giving Gladys a second chance, she ended up being my best friend for many years forward and as I mentioned above, she repaid my love ten times over every single day of her life!

I plead with EVERYBODY who is considering adding a four legged friend to their family to PLEASE go to one of your local animal shelters and save the life of a puppy, kitten, dog, or cat! It will be the best decision that you will make this year and they will make you happy every single day that they are part of your life from that day forward!

Richard
    Last edited by thebankerstoy; 01-06-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! And Bassett's are great dogs, my girlfriend has our next dog narrowed down to either a Bassett, or a Great Dane (I know, weird two choices, right?).

I remember the last animal that I helped my Dad put down. An old farmer came in to the clinic and dropped of 2 horses, said he couldn't afford them anymore, and since they were both 20 years old, he just wanted to put them down. Dad never asked questions in times like that, just did what was required. We walked them out back, and I held the rope while he gave the shot. Made the mistake of looking at one of the horses in the eyes, and I swear, he knew what was happening. Never helped with that job again. I still remember that horse's eyes to this day.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't even imagine how terrible you must have felt seeing that horse as your Dad had to put him down that day.

Please apologize to Mr Jingles for me for talking about topics other than him ok? From this point forward, all we will talk about is him and how I'd recommend that your girlfriend choose the Bassett Hound!!!

Richard

Post Thanks / Like
    He said no problems!

I'm leaning towards the BH as well, but we have to find a rescue around here first.

Post Thanks / Like
    He said no problems!

I'm leaning towards the BH as well, but we have to find a rescue around here first.
    There is going to be one VERY lucky Bassett Hound in your town my friend! I've had three of them in my life over the years and all three were fantastic! Just make sure to watch their weight and keep their ears clean and dry!

I'm wondering if Mr Jingles will accept your new family member? That should be very interesting indeed!

Richard

Post Thanks / Like
    He's pretty easy going, as long as he has a shelf to get on that's out of reach, he should be fine. He was a complete stray when the pound got him, they were fairly certain that he had never seen the inside of a house. If that's true, he sure took to it with a quickness! LOL!

Luckily, some of Dad's partners are still in the small animal biz, so I get really good vet care for all the pet kids.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd have to agree, as he looks right at home in the picture that you shared with us!

Richard

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice pussy.

Regards,

Joe Dokes