Big Block Dart Forums banner

A-Body weight

124K views 101 replies 74 participants last post by  Pendelton 
#1 ·
This might be a good thread to sticky for the mods .

Those of us who have weighed their A body, should post the car details .I finally weighed mine this week.

70 dart
RB--alum heads / 727 / 8.75 rear
8 point cage
frame connectors
plastic seats
glass hood and bumpers
weld wheels
no back seat
SS springs
heater motor still in there
12 gallon fuel cell --with about 3 gallons of fuel

weight = 3060 lbs

:)

#53 ·
65 dart 2 dr sedan
stock 273, iron heads, iron intake, iron exhaust manifolds, 904 trans, 8.75 rear, full dual exhaust
8 point mild steel cage
2X3 frame connectors
Factory undercoating removed
stock bucket seats
stock steel hood and bumpers
Cragar wheels
Wildwood brakes
no back seat
SS springs
heater and radio removed
12 gallon fuel cell --full of fuel

weight = 3080 lbs

#54 ·
1967 Barracuda "notch back" 3525 with out driver
all steel, with factory glass
Dana ,spool ,Mark williams
factory gas tank
Super Stock springs
Stock ftront end
full factory interior
Full 12 point cage
727 trans
588 " Twinplug Hemi , with heavy Mopar block
Elelphant ears Steel , with Altenator
Alum Heads, with Mag. Valve Covers
78 volarie front discs
1/2 tank of gas and a 10 lb Nos bottle full

#55 ·
TWINPLUGHEMI said:
1967 Barracuda "notch back"     3525 with out driver
all steel, with factory glass
Dana ,spool ,Mark williams
factory gas tank
Super Stock springs
Stock ftront end
full factory interior
Full 12 point cage
727 trans
588 "  Twinplug Hemi , with heavy Mopar block
Elelphant ears Steel  , with Altenator
Alum Heads, with Mag. Valve Covers
78 volarie front discs
1/2 tank of gas and a 10 lb Nos bottle full
......were gona need to see some pics of her :)

#56 ·
austinbbmopar said:
Hey i sure that alot of you still have the October 2003 HOTROD mag around its the one with the red 03 Camaro 427 on the front, Well anyway it has a great article called LOSE WEIGHT NOW! It is a Duster that the do all kinds of things to drop the weight. The put glass fenders bumpers aluminum rearend chunk, mono leafs, fiberglass doors, aluminum wheels, put a tubular k- member and even drained gas... They end up lossing 588lbs off an already aluminum headed small block abody. Funny thing is their ets dropped .58 seconds in the 1/4.... And for your guys looking to drop a few pounds over the weekend... clean the under carraige, my bet is youll loose 8-10lbs
I actually did some of this stuff to my 1969 Valiant and ended up with a weight of 2650. It has 225/6, a-500 with adaptor plate, and 8 1/4 with 3.21 sure-grip.

#58 ·
1967 Dart
446 ci engine
Peformer RPM heads
M-1 intake
Holley 780 carb
MSD distributor
tti 2" headers
Full 3" X-pipe exhaust dumped before axel
727 trans
8 3/4 rear
1 racing bucket seat
Alm radiator
Fiberglass hood
16 gallon fuel cell with 2 gallons fuel
1 battery in trunk
7 point cage
1 nitrious bottle in trunk
Car weighs 3150 with out driver

#61 ·
Kind of ashamed to out my porky 69 Valiant, but here she is, all 3400# of her...

All steel body
AL MC
22" copper/brass radiator
AL Stealth intake
Iron 340, 4-speed
Under-dash A/C, no compressor
87 Daytona bucket seats, stock rear bench
B-body 8.75" rear with 10" drums
11.75" disc brakes with Viper calipers
1" sway bar, 1.140" t-bars
17x8" Cobra wheels, 245/45-17 tires
TTI headers and 3" exhaust
1/4 tank of gas, 185/70-14 spare tire, jack in trunk

With me in the car (220# at the time), total weight was 3620#, and weight split was 53%F/47%R, pretty good for an "old car" with lots of iron bits.  Lots has been changed, but I haven't weighed the car since then.  Changes include:

AL 26" radiator (heavier than 22" C/B rad)
Magnum serpentine belt system
Ram Van A/C compressor
Custom Auto Air underdash (20# less than OEM!)
EFI (M1 intake, injectors, regulator, ECM, fuel pump, return line, filters)
ART subframe connectors
ART torque boxes F/R
Optima battery (15# less than 75DT)
2000 Intrepid compact spare tire (should clear Viper calipers with spacer)
Driver lost 10#, trying for another 10#

I guess we'll see how much she'll gain or lose when I finally make it to the scales again.  If I can break even with all those upgrades, I'll be really happy.  After this, I'll relocate the battery to the trunk or find a 'glass hood to shift the weight around a little.

Clair

#62 ·
72 scamp
gutted,aluminum interior panels
no wipers,no heater
frame connecters,8 pt cage,fuel cell,stereo system
all steel exept heavy fiberglass hood.
360/727-8 3/4,aluminum heads and intake,tti's
disc fronts,tubular uppers,steel wheels

current weight is #3310 and still need to add sound deadener and carpet :-\
some of the posted weights seem optomistic wondering how accurate the scales are.

#92 ·
my 71 demon with stock full interior, all glass, 12pt cage, dana ss springs, stock block and heads, aluminum wheels, fiberglass hood and fenders, frames tied with 2x3 inch, 10 gal fuel cell, 727 and exhaust to the dana was 3710 lbs.
Geeze Bob, That things a tank.
Can I expect the same from mine?
Mine has a 20 gal fuel cell, 8 3/4" rear and steel fenders, stock springs with Cal Tracs. The rest is pretty much the same.
Is this with the pressurized intake system?

#67 ·
1968 valiant street brawler:

All Steel, no fiberglass anything.
Full interior, with front and back bench seat in car and functional. 
All heater components removed.
8 3/4, normal A-body width with yukon axles, stock 68 leaf springs(for now), cal-tracs/mono leafs waiting to be installed.
255/70/15 BFG on 15x7 steel cop rims(rear), 205/75/15 on 15.5 steel rims(front)
2"TTI headers, full 3" pipes to bumper, 2- flowmaster muffs.
15 gal Fuel Cell, electric pump w/filter/reg.
727 transmission. Hurst ratchet shifter.
Summit Aluminum Radiator
499". stroked 400, Edelbrock heads, M1 Singleplane. Iron waterpump/housing.

3180 w/o driver and full tank of fuel.  0/

#68 ·
505 cu. in.  -  440 block, no filler, no girdle, steel billet main caps, bored .030" , Callis 4.250" crank, Oliver steel rods chevy size, JE pistons, little over 14 to 1 compression, Brodix B1-BS heads, ported , Crower solid cam around .609" and .599" lift, duration?, custom built step headers 1-3/4" to 1-7/8" to 2" with merge collectors, M1 intake with 1050HP Dominator, #87 square jetting,  power valves, double roller timing chain, 35*full timing, FBO ignition system ( no MSD), BG400 ful pump,  Shogun water pump and water manifold, custom built BeeCool radiator, shroud and catch can, #8 or #10 radiator hoses, CRT 727 super/pro2 transmission (rollerized, billet aluminium front drum, bolt in sprag, Griner billet valvebody, transbrake) ,Hurst 1/4 stick shifter, with air shifter, PTC 8" converter, flashes to 5300-5400 rpm, shift at 6100 rpm, cross traps at 6300 - 6400 rpm , 4.10 gears in Ford 9" rear, Mark Williams axles, ladder bar with coil over rear suspension, Alston chassis 2"x3" box frame, coil over front suspension, rack & pinion steering , Wilwood 4 wheel disc brakes. Hoosier 32" x 13.5"w x 15" .      9.451et, 141.91mph, 1.278 - 60 foot,     Car weghs 2550 ,  2730 with driver.

#72 ·
west said:
all glass or lexan?
where do you think you lost all that weight from?
    The 2 side rear windows are glass, all the rest are lexan. The car is a 2"x3" box frame chassis, aluminium floors, motor moved back and up a few inches. Moved back firewall, no inner fenders, 1 seat. Here are a few pics. No factory trunk hinges, modified trunk hinges. Aluminium driveshaft, rack and pinion steering, tubular upper and lower control arms, ladder bar suspenion, coil over front and rear suspension.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.