Big Block Dart Forums banner

The 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat

8K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Capt_Jack 
#1 ·
I was just sitting here wondering why no one is talking about this car. It could be that it was discussed and I just missed it. Even if you do not like it, it is still the hottest topic flying around these days in the muscle car world and it is a MOPAR. "The 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat is the supercar of muscle cars! On paper, the 707-horsepower Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat is one of the most intimidating cars on the planet. Any muscle car with this much power is going to be a handful to drive and a beast to tame, maybe?" If you are not used to driving 700 HP MOPARS on the street. "This car packs a whopping 707-horsepower, 650 lb.-ft. of torque, and the capability to scrape against the 200 mph top speed barrier. The supercharged 6.2-liter Hemi “Hellcat” V-8 in the revised Challenger coupe is the engineering pinnacle of Dodge’s muscle car lineup." I just cut and pasted some quotes from an article on the car and it makes it sound like the best thing since sliced bread. We have to keep in mind that this car can run over $ 60K and I for one will never own one for that reason. I would like to find out what you guys think about this powerful MOPAR? One of the attractions back in the 60's and early 70's was our muscle cars were relatively inexpensive and powerful. Even those of us who could not afford a new one, you could wait a few years and find a used one that you could afford. In our economy that may not be the case for most of us. Then there are those of us who just want to build our own stuff as we can afford it, which is great. Has anyone seen or driven this car? There must have been one at Carlisle? If I was marketing this car, I would certainly have one displayed at The MOPAR Nationals! These cars are said to run in the 11's out of the box, that is pretty substantial when you remember the 60's and 70's cars were running 13's and 14's from the factory. One article said this car weighs 4K lbs. I was thinking they probably made it heavy on purpose so those who were crazy enough to drive at high speeds on the highway can have a better chance of staying on the ground. It will be interesting to hear what you have to say about this. Have a blessed day!

See less See more
#2 ·
Might be no one is talking about it hear because every other Mopar website in the world must have 5 or more Hellcat post on them. One thing to remember is you cant really compare this to the 60's muscle cars as none of them were supercharged which nearly doubles the eng power. And the technology has the superchargers working very good today as compared to even the 80's. But it is an awesome car as I have been saying for years that Mopar needs to supercharge the Challenger to compete with the supercharged Mustangs and Camaro's and this sure will compete. I do drive my 10 second car on the street but the supercharged power is a different feel then NA like my car. I heard the starting price was $59,900. as thats not to bad for a car that fast. They may sell a good bit if the dealers actually sell them at close to that price. Ron

#4 ·
Thanks for the honest remarks. This is the only MOPAR site that I visit nowadays since I don't have as much free time as I used to. I was unaware of what goes on and was just wondering what the people here thought. I can see quite few saw this thread, but chose not to respond, probably because of what you said. It is an overworked topic. I am grateful for the responses of you guys who thought it was important enough to share here. If anyone sees one of these cars or gets to test drive one, come back and let us know what you experienced. I would hope that the MOPAR guru's think it wise to show up at the MOPAR Nationals. Have a blessed day! Peace!!!

#5 ·
Cost

The car is nice, saw one at Chrysler Carlisle Nationals. Black and beautiful, so was the girl standing by the car. The problem , for most of us is, the car starts at 70k! Those of us who bought hi-po cars in the sixties got a potent car for little money, i.e 1969 Dart 340 Swinger started at $2,800.00. Yes, I am quite aware of inflation on all fronts. I just think the cars in that price range are out of reach for the common working stiff.
For what it's worth, a buyer can purchase a 707 hp "F" type Jaguar for $70k.
Just sayin'.

#6 ·
I get that loud and clear. The price tag will definitely keep me from evening dreaming about owning one. If one of you guys ever get one, maybe you can rent-a-ride to guys like me. On second thought that was a foolish thought. No one buys a car like this to give others a ride or rent our rides. I guess I was just thinking out loud. If you see another one somewhere, get in front of it and take a selfie.

#8 ·
The reality is that a 340 Dart for 2800 is about the same as a Challenger with the 5.7, you can pick them up for 30K.

The reality is that unlike the sixties when Chrysler only made 10,000 hemi's in nearly ten years of production, Chrysler will produce probably 10,000 Hellcats. So the odds of you someday buying one are pretty good.

Think about it this way, a bunch of 60 something Baby Boomers are going to go out and buy these things and then let them sit in garages thinking that they are going to be worth something some day. They aren't because they are never going to be that rare, so in five or six years when Grandp kicks the bucket you'll be able to pick one of these up for 30K.

This is good for us, and good for the sport.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

#9 ·
Joe it is very interesting, your line of thinking. We have to wait for our grandparents to die off for us to be able to get the car of our dreams (ha, ha, ha). That is funny on one hand, but sick on the other hand. I guess we have to do what we have to do. I am old enough to be a grandparent, but my five kids ranging from 18-28 are not married and have no kids at this time. I am looking to retire next year if things work out financially. I will just watch you guys have fun with the 10,000 Hellcat's being built. I do not have a problem with that. It is what it is!

#10 ·
707 hp challenger

The challenger has a great supercharged engine and I believe the 8 speed auto trans behind it is beefy. The 4400 lbs (before driver) takes away some of the luster of the high hp. That car weighs more than my 1971 fury with 383. It should be able to out accelerate the camaro zl-1 and possibly the shelby mustang but may have some issues with the new supercharged zo6 corvette.
First it will have to get hooked up and then accelerate the extra weight difference of the other cars. It needs the hp to run with most of them. I know the corvette is not in the same category with the challenger, but it is hard to run into same category cars driving around town. A lot of the older guys remember to put the largest ( in this case strongest) engine in the lightest chassis to accelerate quicker. With this thought in mind, how much does the v-10 in the viper weigh against the supercharged hemi of the challenger? would it reduce front end weight of the viper as well as have a higher hp to boot? could the viper be the first factory production car to run 10's from the factory? I remember reading the early 1960's chryslers went uni-body and were thus lighter with the big (at that time) 413 and 426 wedges. Power to weight (a-body hemi and big blocks), how was this lesson lost? The chevy boys are holding up their corvettes and camaros for performance pretty well and I would not be surprised if the camaro goes on a diet. Chrysler followed chevy and ford in supercharging their performance cars in the new vehicles. Chrysler I believe had better engineering than the other two companies and the vehicles were easier to work on. This is why I drive and race the older chrysler vehicles. I probably will not be able to afford any of the newer performance cars today. Maybe a used car in the future. I just hope chrysler doesn't have to re-learn the lessons of the past and continue its following in this new war of hp that is coming. I'm a chrysler believer, I just don't believe in following. Big block a-body all the way.
tew440

#11 ·
Tew that is some good information. It has been a while since I checked this thread and a lot has happened since then. I was looking to purchase a used Dodge Ram truck and saw some that were between $1,500 and $2,500. Each of them that are in any decent condition have either engine problems of transmission problems. I can change a transmission in a day, but they cost more than the trucks. Engines, especially Junkyard Hemi's are going for over $3,000. While that may be chump change for many, it is a lot when you think may need to go through it just to make sure it is sound. My friend who is a Dodge mechanic tells me the 03' - 06' Hemi's had quite a few problems and it could be hit or miss as to whether you get a good one or one that is pure trouble. I mention this because you would think these junk yard parts would be more affordable. It almost makes more sense to buy two used trucks to make one.

#13 ·
We are rolling back to 1970.

You enter a Dodge dealership with the intention of purchasing a new 1971 Dodge Challenger.

Original Price: $2,725 - $3,270

Fast forward to 2015.

You enter a Dodge dealership with the intention of purchasing a new 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat.

MSRP: $59,995
Average Auction Sale: $95,600

I am just standing up for my right.....as a consumer. lol
Glasses Dress shirt Tie Collar Formal wear

#14 ·
I completely understand what you are saying. Your point is my point in stating early on that I will have to live vicariously through those of you that have one or can afford one. Even those of you that can find one used for half that price. I just read an article that stated Chrysler is doubling their orders for the 2016 year model, which will be slightly more expensive than the previous year model. I probably was not clear in bringing up the cost of the junkyard Hemi prices, but that is also beyond my means at this time. Used junkyard Mopar parts are expensive, unless you can find somebody that does not know what they have and you can talk them down. I am with you! I suppose it is nice to dream, but even my dreams won't let me imagine sitting in that seat. There is a subliminal block in my dreams, that will not allow my mind to access this car as I sleep. Way to go dreams! I don't even think about it anymore, I will stick with the old stuff and keep plodding away with my project. I have had it a part for 11 years now. I am determined to get it running soon (before the year is out)!

#15 ·
ran against a hellcat

I had the chance to run against a new hellcat with my belvedere (3.23 gears). On street tires they are easy prey. I was at the track with dot street tires and he had factory tires. He went home kinda bummed. After all, very few people go to a drag strip with an UN-modified car. That is where you will find them. When I watch them race against the supercharged mustangs and camaros, they are usually trying to catch them from behind (no traction). The best I've seen them run at bandimere in stock form is 12.2 with dot tires (remember 1 second slower due to altitude). I expect to see a new dodge demon at bandimere in 2017 and probably in the high 11's. The new demon my not be up your alley gospel runner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.