Big Block Dart Forums banner

67 base dart /6 with 13's to 15's?

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  roccodart446 
#1 ·
So I have a 67 base dart /6 with 13's.. well they don't make tires in the same overall diameter that aren't trailer tires.. I thought about going to 14's but the local junkyard wants $95/wheel for the sbp wheels...

So for that price I was thinking about doing these.. 15x7 with a 4.25 backspace in a 5 x4" pattern at all 4 corners..

http://www.specialtywheel.com/produ...ard-steel-small-bolt-pattern-powder-coat.html

If I do this will the stock hubcaps still fit? Going from 13's to 15's? Hubcaps from the white car attached. I would love if it would look something like this.

And then BFG radials in P225/60R15 maybe something a little smaller in the front? I know most darts have rear springs relocated/minitubs etc. I would like to have a bigger rear tire but I don't know if it would be better to run the same all around.

I'm only 15, this is going to be just a driver, planning on staying with a sbp and 9" drums for now. Might upgrade to front discs and get rid of the 7 1/4" rear end but that will be a few years down the road.

Thanks,

John

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I understand going to those wheels, but the price seems a bit high for steel wheels. Dog dish (poverty) caps look like they will fit. Full wheel covers will not.

As for the brakes, if you were my son (I've already gone through that with two sons, they are now 29 and 31), I wouldn't let you drive to the end of the driveway on the 9" brakes. In my opinion, these cars should get discs up front and bigger torsion bars and a sway bar before anything else (both of my sons' cars had good brakes and suspension AND big blocks...).

#3 ·
I cant seem to find anything that is a sbp for a good deal. I about fell out of my chair for the 14x4.5 being $95/wheel.

I had this conversation with my dad as well. Ideally I would love to do the detailing disc brake upgrade kit and find a bbp rear end and just do it once and be done. Maybe with the hotckis TVS suspension package. But the $$ isn't there right now.

Is there a budget friendly option for bigger torsion bars and sway bar? Maybe leave the brakes for now? I can't "shouldn't" drive the car because the 13's are dry rotted. So the wheels/tires have to come first.

#4 ·
All of this can be done on a budget. Used 340 torsion bars and sway bar will run around $150 (or should). Disc brake setups can still be found in wrecking yards and it's all rebuildable. Last set I bought was around $75. BUT, I did acquire a setup for free not all that long ago. Best way to get big bolt in the rear is with a late axle. They are getting harder to find, but are still available and should be under $100.

There's no reason to buy all brand new parts, generally. An exception is my son's new project (65 Mustang for his wife). Disc brake caliper adapters for those things are EXPENSIVE compared to a complete kit with all new parts, but it was still around $600 for everything.

#5 · (Edited)
Wood Grass Bicycle part Soil Auto part

I don't know where to find prices like that. The only "close" junkyard with old sheet metal is CTC auto ranch. They wanted $95/wheel for steelie 14's... A b body 8 3/4 rear end drum to drum was $800... No disc brake setups either...

I may have hit the jackpot though! The car came with a V8 k member and I thought it had a a sway bar on it and it did! Among other parts!! I think I found the torsion bars and sway bar/end links you mentioned!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.