'72 Swinger
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: '72 Swinger

Post Thanks / Like

Cool '72 Swinger

The short summary: 451, ported iron heads, .654 Mini-Express cam (reground for .652, [email protected]), Lakewood, 4-speed, Centerforce DF, 8-3/4 (3.91), minitubs/relocated springs by previous owner, 295/50R15, dual 3" exhaust with X-pipe, fuel cell in trunk, homemade instrument cluster, Power Shot nitrous plate.

I bought the bare block in the '90's while going to school in Pittsburgh... got the engine together in '07, the stripped rolling shell in Minneapolis shortly thereafter. 21+ years later, including a couple of very bad attempts at painting it myself (and two years in paint jail), it's finally together and I'm in shakedown mode. Various leaks to fix, rear springs were too flat so I got new ones... hope to get the front end aligned in a week or two so I can start driving it on the road!

I don't plan to ever start with a bare shell again... had to make every single brake line and fuel line, design and make my own wiring harness nose to tail (and there are a LOT of wires even in a simple "vintage" Dart). Still beats paying a shop $50-100k... any fool can write checks but there is great satisfaction in doing it yourself
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Blast from the past!

THERE IT IS!!! My dream Dart is finally a real car again! Nice work Charles - great to see it all together!
    On the shores of the Mighty Mississippi ~
    Coon Rapids, MN

66 Dart GT
    70 Dart Swinger
    74 Charger
    46 Ford Sedan Rat Rod

Hidden Content

Post Thanks / Like
    I see you have a different username here Was wondering if you'd seen my posts on Moparts.

I actually just got it on the road before this Christmas (2019)... and promptly blew the 8-3/4 within 5 miles because I forgot to put the lube in, back in 2013 when it went in the car! Now waiting for Dr. Diff to send the chunk back, a $600+ mistake.

Meanwhile over the holidays I made a set of subframe connectors as illustrated in the tech pages here, and also have a pair of aluminum heads at Dwayne Porter's being massaged. Should be fun if I don't make any other stupid errors!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Max the Meathead also approves... he loves to ride anywhere
    Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Dart

Good looking build, you should be very proud once you get all of the bugs worked out & finally start making WOT passes in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    A very unusual 74 degree sunny winter day here in the Ozarks... the chunk is back in (WITH oil this time), six-pack hood on (paint is a poor match, will have that fixed later) and Caltrac copies installed.
    So I fired it up, and drove a few miles up and down the back roads breaking in the rear gears, and nothing blew up, seized or caught fire Dirt roads are just not the place for any kind of full-throttle testing!