hard clutch pedal, pressure plate recommendation?
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: hard clutch pedal, pressure plate recommendation?

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

hard clutch pedal, pressure plate recommendation?

I've been out for a long time with my '65 Barracuda in storage. It has a 360ci engine and a 4-speed OD gearbox with a hydraulic clutch. The slave is a concentric slave bearing from American Powertrain. The bell housing is the larger aluminum 10.5" size.

My trouble is that the clutch pedal is very hard to push. I'll swap out the master cylinder with a smaller bore unit, but I can't help but think the problem is just too heavy duty of a pressure plate.

So what's a nice soft pressure plate that will work nice with my setup? The car is a cruiser.

Thanks for any help.

-m.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard Clutch Pedal

From my limited experience, that is indicative of a pressure plate that's going bad - they give a very had pedal. Guessing it wasn't like that when you first put it in?

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard clutch

Quote Originally Posted by r3dplanet View Post
    I've been out for a long time with my '65 Barracuda in storage. It has a 360ci engine and a 4-speed OD gearbox with a hydraulic clutch. The slave is a concentric slave bearing from American Powertrain. The bell housing is the larger aluminum 10.5" size.

My trouble is that the clutch pedal is very hard to push. I'll swap out the master cylinder with a smaller bore unit, but I can't help but think the problem is just too heavy duty of a pressure plate.

So what's a nice soft pressure plate that will work nice with my setup? The car is a cruiser.

Thanks for any help.

-m.
    I see there isn't much help coming forth for you on this problem. Have you checked the condition of the clutch pedal over center assist spring? Does the car even have one? If the spring is rusty weak and/or stretched, broken, or absent, it won't be able to help you push the pedal down. This is a very strong spring about 1.5 inches in diameter wound out of 1/4 inch wire. It is located just below the clutch pedal pivot shaft. If it proves to be there and be in good shape your best bet is simply a stock replacement PP instead of anything labeled 'high performance'. If it is shot or missing you will have to locate a good one, if missing you will need the anchor loop too. Installing the spring requires a hooked pulling bar or cable loop with a cross bar for pulling with both hands from the seated position as it is a very strong spring. It is responsible for applying about half of the force required to release a clutch, and is also what causes the clutch pedal to pop up that last inch when you take your foot off the pedal. Best luck, Steve