Stroker kits.
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Stroker kits.

Post Thanks / Like

Stroker kits.

Looking for a good 440 stroker kit.
    Has anybody used the Hughes kit ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

stroker kits

Quote Originally Posted by 440Demon View Post
    Looking for a good 440 stroker kit.
    Has anybody used the Hughes kit ?
    I`m running the hughs 440/505 , w/ raised port heads , solid street roller ,727 , 3:73 dana 60------
    like it , but so far doesn`t perform as it should on the dragstrip , corvette killer on the 4 lane .
    Not tubbed , only a 295 60d 15 on rear. Traction limited ---------

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    If your block decks were properly machined to attain proper quench the Hughes kit should be just fine. Since you imply it has lots of snot at road speed your last comment, "traction limited------" is likely the offending problem. Most drag races are won or lost in the first 60 feet or even maybe 10 feet. If you can't stick it on launch all that power is wasted until you can hook it up in second gear. Good 295 slicks can be made to stick very well if the suspension is spot on, it was, after all, doable in the old A super stock classes with poorer tires than we have today. Two easy things to try before spending much money is to install an adjustable pinion snubber fitted at the track to just touch the floor pan, and raise the front end an inch or two at the strip to throw the center of gravity farther rearward, front end should be as high or higher than the rear end. Low front end height drives good on the street and looks 'funny car cool' but is a major detriment to launch traction. Having the mass of the engine (and the front body weight) higher places a lot more down force on the rear tires under acceleration. The pinon snubber smacks the floor pan instantly upon acceleration thus 'planting' the tires solidly on the track before the suspension can even start to react. Adjust ride height and snubber back to stock dimensions prior to driving home. Back in my mis-spent youth I ran a B modified Production '67 426 Max Wedge dual quad tunnel ram Coronet 4 speed. It had 10"x15 MT slicks screwed to the rims, mopar SS springs, and a snubber set up as described above. I launched at 6500 rpm full throttle with the left front coming off the ground, no wheel spin and ran 11.40 to 11.60 @ 119-125 most days. I did explode one rear u-joint at the line (needles penetrated the floor pan!), and twisted off stock axle shafts twice (right side 8-3/4). Learned quick to always run on new u-joints, and to pull axles for inspection every week. Traction was certainly never an issue.