Big Block Dart Forums banner

sbp rotor shims

5K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  r3dplanet 
#1 · (Edited)
sbp rotor shims - disc caliper alignment

Hey gang,

I'm putting together rear disc brakes on my '65 Barracuda that has an 8-3/4" rear end with a small bolt pattern for wheels.

The rotors sit right up against the inboard side of the caliper and it looks like only way to push them outward is to use a wheel shim or spacer. When I look at Summit or Rock Auto there are many rotor shims, but nobody lists them by dimensions.

I doubt anyone makes one for an early A-body. Does anyone know anything about this?

Cheers.

#3 ·
Agreed. I reached out to a couple of places who make custom spacers who also agreed that 5x100mm is the easiest approach, but I need only 0.100" thickness. Apparently the minimum thickness they sell is 3/16". Looks like I'll have to find a way to fabricate my own.

#6 ·
pix of enlightenment

Okay, here are some photos that show the problem probably better than I can explain it. In the first photo you can see how the rotor rubs right against the right side of the caliper.

Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive wheel system Machine tool

This photo shows how the caliper mounts to the bracket (Scarebird). You could add some spacers between the caliper and bracket, but it would only make the problem worse. The caliper needs to move the other way.

Hood Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Here's a view from the rear without the rotor installed.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Bumper Rim

#8 ·
late update

I ended up sending the brackets back to the manufacturer to be re-made with the correct offset. That way I won't need shims at all. I don't know what the axle hub differences are year-by-year but I'm guessing that I have an early 8-3/4.

cheerio

#10 ·
Oh, totally. But I went into this project knowing it wasn't a kit. It was destined to be a project. I've been taking photos and notes along the way so once my setup is done I'll write up a how-to complete with part numbers and measurements. That will make it much easier for others to get into this setup.

#11 ·
quick follow-up

Peeps,

Mark at Scarebird made a new set of brackets for me. Neither he nor I knew that early 8-3/4" rear diffs have shorter axles. I found some illuminating literature on that subject that says Mopar made the early -741 rear ends 0.125" shorter on each side. I measured 0.100" but my axle housing was custom cut long ago.

I welded on a couple of holds onto the housing for the soft brake line adapters since one of the ones on the new brackets was clocked wrong. That's fine, I like my way better. Anyway, it's all together now and I have four wheel disc brakes. While I was in there I took the opportunity to make all new hard lines front and rear, and then top it off with a new vacuum booster and master cylinder. The car stops great. Predictable and smooth with off-the-shelf wear items. For me it's a great setup.

Good times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.