Help with base line on 440 build
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Help with base line on 440 build

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with base line on 440 build

I currently have a 1976 440 that came out of an RV. My 13 year old son and I just finished stripping it down getting it ready for the machine shop. We plan on putting this in a 1973 dart. This is more of a teaching/learning project for us. Im not building a horsepower king or anything fancy. Something a father son can have fun with and sometimes take it to the drag strip. I plan on using the 452 heads because I want to teach him everything on the engine. Ya its easy to buy aftermarket aluminum heads but all im teaching him is how to slap new parts on. My question for you guys is good combo with decent compression, 2.06 piston height, solid lift cam, for us to build. You guys have been there done that and I am all ears. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    a 76 RV motor with a less emissions based cam would be a great powerplant for your Dart.

its pretty much what I have in my '73 Duster. 77 RV motor, cam and intake swapped out for something a little beefier. its a great runner. not a world beater, but its definitely got plenty of oomf.

I worry that you're considering a solid lift cam though, as that will surely change aspects of the project. mostly as far as an adjustable valve train vs stock.

other than that, it sounds like a good plan and great project.

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn’t have to be a solid lift cam. I might get some grins on this but Im considering using the OEM cast crank to. I want to build a good motor that we can have fun with. My son has never experienced the sound, feel, and excitement of raw horsepower in a muscle car. These days are ruled by Turbos , superchargers , and NOS. My boy can learn that stuff later. I love the old school stuff that is becoming a lost art.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    hard to argue about the feel of HP trying to twist your spine out of place.

cast crank and hydraulic cams are great for mild to high-mid level power. dang near ANY RB in an A-body is gonna put you in the seat pretty well.

thanks for keeping hot-rod traditions alive in your son.

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im doing the mopar template port. Its a lot of work.
    Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to say it, but you better get that head checked before you continue. it looks like you have cut away part of the valve seat.