Machining factory crank
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Machining factory crank

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

Machining factory crank

Guys, I have a question. I dropped of my factory forged crank at a machine shop for a once over (crack test etc) to see if it was worth using, it came back with it being machined 030 on the mains and 020 on the rod journals. When I told an engine builder whom is helping me build it, he lives 2 states away, he said it shouldn’t have been machined as it was done without the engine block. I am waiting on main caps from Canada. He is blowing up hard saying it shouldn’t have been done.

So my question is: the crank is machined, nothing I can do about it, what’s done is done. Obviously when I get the main caps, I will get a line hone, can I still proceed with my build? He is carrying on like it is the end of the world and its not worth doing because I don’t know what my clearances are right now. Where do I go? I can’t really see a reason why I can’t proceed, the machine shop has already found a set of bearings to suit the new machining job of the crank, and found the bearings easily, a set of Clevite bearings.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea why he is getting upset either. Buy the bearings for the stated undersize. You will have to check the clearances to see if they are within factory specs. He may have been after a specific looser clearance. I am not positive, but I would think you could just polish the crank if they are too tight. I never had an issue with factory clearances. My current engine is on the loose side, and I just use thicker oil (20W50). If the main caps came form another block the line hone is a must.

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    The main caps are brand new alloy ones, so a line hone will be taking place. I already spoke to the machinist about using a thicker bearing, he pulled up a whole bunch of clevite bearings on the computer within seconds, just the ones I need, so there is no special order, they are an off the shelf item, so nothing custom which is good

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    Maybe the engine builder wants to take the machine work to someone he knows. If I was an engine builder I would want to check everything myself and use my own guys to do the work. Sounds like he's getting angry that your using other people on his rebuild. Don't forget that in the end his name is going on the rebuild job.
    383 stroked to 432c.i. / 440Source Stroker / Edelbrock RPM heads / 750 Holley / Torker Intake / Lunati VooDoo cam / Dynamic 9.5 converter / Cope Racing Trans / 3:55's with a suregrip /I'm Always Working On Something