Big Block Dart Forums banner

new distributor recommendation

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  r3dplanet 
#1 ·
Hey gang.

I'm mulling over buying a new distributor. My application is a '65 Barracuda with a somewhat built 360. It has an MSD 6AL ignition box and an MSD pro-billet dizzy. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a vacuum advance. I prefer a vacuum advance for driveability and mpg, especially since this car spends almost all of its time on the highway. I'm always chasing down little bits of efficiency.

Which distributor might work well? I've ruled out the MSD ready-to-run unit simply because it's very expensive and I already have the ignition box, plus the R-to-R doesn't do hot multiple sparks. I'd like to have adjustable mechanical advance, adjustable vacuum advance diaphragm, and very good build quality.

Just gathering opinions. Cheers.

#2 ·
I bought an MSD 15 degree advance/retard module, with the intention of running it with the pro billet to add 15 degrees of advance at cruise, like the vacuum advance does. My plans have changed so I probably won't be using it. It would be an option for you rather than buying a new distributor.

#5 ·
minor update

I just wanted to finish this thread by saying that I ordered a Pertronix distributor. It meets all the criteria: well made, adjustable curve, vacuum advance, multi-spark, and I can move the MSD box to another car. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive, solves my problem.

cheerio

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.