Track times for a stock 383 or 440 in a Dart?
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Track times for a stock 383 or 440 in a Dart?

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

Track times for a stock 383 or 440 in a Dart?

I looked all through the "Race Car Specs" sticky but am looking for any 1/8 or 1/4 mile times on basically a stock engine. I am in the middle of finishing the 413 (65 New Yorker) swap into my 68 and am curious what guys run with stock or stockish 383's and 440's.
    If anyone out there wants to share their results please do. TIA
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably need more information about the car. What gear, cam, heads, carb. & so forth before someone can get you in the ballpark.

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not really looking for a ballpark of what my car will run. Just looking for times that other people have ran with a stock or basically stock 383-413-440.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    solid 13's in factory trim for HP standard Big Block cars (A, B and E body mostly)

by far they're mostly traction limited as more than a few have put stock-as-a-rock B & RB powered cars into the 12's and better.

mostly through traction and suspension tweaking.

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

Times from the old days

Back in High school a half dozen of us bought new 68 and 69 cars. Mine's a rather heavy 69 340-s fastback Cuda automatic A/C car with 3.23 sure grip. It ran 14.3 A/C off and 14.4 A/C on. Jim's light 68 GTS 340 4 speed with 3.55 axle ran 13.9. Harry's 69 440 charger 4 speed, axle ratio unknown but I suspect 3.91, ran 13.5 or better if the surface allowed. He laid down a 13.1 at Milan once and had he been better on the stick could have done a 12.9. None of us had race tires. 2 of the guys were twin brothers who special ordered utterly identical consecutive serial numbered red 68 383 Coronet 500 4 speeds, axle ratio unknown but I suspect 3.23. Firstborn got the low numbered one, second born got the high numbered one Sadly one was way-way quicker than the other. One of them ran right with Jim's GTS in the high 13's, the other Coronet was slower than my 340 Cuda. The dealership techs worked on that car many times and never could make it any faster, changed carbs, and distributors, checked valve timing etc. I could tell they felt bad about it. I always suspected tolerance stacking in the engine parts was at fault, as in a tall deck height coupled with large combustion chamber heads resulted in a much lower compression ratio than his brothers car had, which might have gotten lucky and had lower decks and smaller combustion chambers. Or maybe core shift in the heads and intake caused port misalignment, or all of the above. There was a lot of variation in factory dimensions back then, I do remember Jack was pretty well pissed off about it. The factory bias ply red line 'wide ovals' of the day made a lot of smoke and noise but sure didn't help the times any. Harry was still making them turn hitting 4th gear.