TTI Headers - Clearance Issues
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: TTI Headers - Clearance Issues

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

TTI Headers - Clearance Issues

Hey guys, looking for anyone who has installed the TTI 440-200 headers on their big block Dart. I'm working on a 67 Dart GT, 440 w/ Edelbrock Performer top end. Using Schumacher small block to big block adapter kit. TTI swears that this is a straight install, no modifications really needed. They say any problems I have are probably related to the car itself or the k-frame (as they were sloppy in the factory with tolerances). I've attempted to install this several times now and have run in to nothing but problems. Using their guidelines on motor location, I have lined this thing up to within a 1/16" of "factory" specifications. The #3 pipe has an interference with two spots on the steering gear box. The stamped retaining nut on the top of the steering gear box interferes with the #5 pipe. I removed the retaining ring off of an old box to see if that helped clearance, but the #3 pipe issues remain. I've scratched the living snot out of the ceramic coat, so there is no way they are going to give me a full refund on these things. I've measured the car for square per the tech manual instructions...car is square. I've had the engine out and hanging with the k-frame bolted to it, making sure to line it up side-to-side as if it were installed...same result with the steering box. Spoke with the TTI support again today for the umpteenth time and now they are recommending that I cut the steering gear box mounting pad off of the k-frame and move it so that I get more clearance. Has anyone else run into these kind of fitment issues? How did you solve the issues? Does anyone else thing it's a crazy idea to cut the k-frame and modify it for headers that are supposed to fit from the factory?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    if you have a sb k member when i put 440 in my dart i had to cut k member for oil pump clearance i put a manual steering box in because its smaller than power steering box later i changed to a arm rack coil over kit with no problems

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good one

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    If you loosen the steering box you might be able to move it over a bit. When I changed my manual steering box to a Borgenson steering box, there was some play to move it slightly around. Maybe you can find your clearance this way.
    383 stroked to 432c.i. / 440Source Stroker / Edelbrock RPM heads / 750 Holley / Torker Intake / Lunati VooDoo cam / Dynamic 9.5 converter / Cope Racing Trans / 3:55's with a suregrip /I'm Always Working On Something