Big Block Dart Forums banner

List of members by state?

129K views 130 replies 108 participants last post by  rtse440 
#1 ·
Is there anywhere on the site that you can view club members by your state? I think it would be neat if you can see who your neighbors are and where they are in relationship to you. I noticed that there are a few guys that post from down here in Florida. That way if we're ever in the neighborhood, we could ask about local shows, good restauraunts, etc. Heck, if anyone ever drives up I 95 between Daytona Beach and St. Augustine they are welcome to stop by for a cold one and some bench racing.

#111 ·
clustrmaps

this post is mostly for admin. iirc bbd people liked frappr. i came across a similar service that bbd could use, called clustrmaps. it works like this:

visitors don't sign up or do anything special -- just visit
the IP is traced to user's general area (accurate to ~50 miles in urban areas, 100 mi. rural?)
plot hits by location
the service is free

the "downside"

it doesn't appear to handle mapping of specific users. depending on site popularity, this might be cleaner anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my feedback for clustr would be ... trying to stuff too much data on a dynamic map can make a cluttered map and slow response.

the first issue could be solved by adding labels to the pushpins only after the user puts a close-up zoom in effect.

but solving the second is tougher. a way to do it is have the initial map be a static image refreshed occasionally from a live initial map. behind the static image load, javascript could load data label asychronously. alternatively they could kick off the map zoomed in, so unseen portions have a more time to plot. programming would need to be done on clustrmap, not bbd. they'd still probably need to cap labeling to 20-40 points.

-------------------------------------------------------(rant alert -- stop reading here)

but i've met people wanting >1000 data points AND unwilling to accept/maintain a static initial image AND unwilling to cap data to 40 points AND unwilling to accept a load time over 2 seconds AND unwilling to pay for a custom lightweight gis engine AND refuse to initialize the map at close-up zoom levels.... no less than continental level. can't say their name but if they find and read all i can say is .... epic fail :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.