Big Block Dart Forums banner

New to All -Tire QuestionsAnd Wheel and Tire Combo's

158K views 159 replies 80 participants last post by  mopower440 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. Just got me my first A body and it happens to have received a cajone transplant- a 67 440. Me likey! You'll see me ask stupid questions as I'm new to this. Bear with me. First Q; will a BFG 275/60-15 tire fit in the rear? And with a 15x8" rim with a 3-3/4" backspace? I want ARE Outlaw I's and they no longer make them with Mopar (4-1/4"  backspacing). Thx

See less See more
G
#27 ·
I've got a question regarding the fitment of 15x8 draglites on stock rear suspension locations. 

any leaf spring rubbing issues with running a 5 1/2" offset in the rear?
any body rubbing issues with running a 4 1/2" offeset?

tried to search, but couldn't find anything on this.
thanks in advance.

#30 ·
demon340v said:
do you guys know if a 225/70/15 will rub up front on any turning?

on a 71 Demon?!
I doubt it. I had my tire guy mount a 215/70-15 on the front and it hit the bottom front edge of the wheelwell. I had to go to a 205/65-15 0n the front and that cleared by about 1/2" ! (This was on a ARE Outlaw I 15x7" rim w/ 3-3/4" backspacing

#31 ·
DustBuster said:
demon340v said:
do you guys know if a 225/70/15 will rub up front on any turning?

on a 71 Demon?!
I doubt it. I had my tire guy mount a 215/70-15 on the front and it hit the bottom front edge of the wheelwell. I had to go to a 205/65-15 0n the front and that cleared by about 1/2" ! (This was on a ARE Outlaw I 15x7" rim w/ 3-3/4" backspacing
yeah i stopped in at pepboys yesterday the guy said find a 15" rim and i'll be more then happy to mount a few diffrent tires that way we know what you can run for sure. he just said stay with the 60 series tire because of teh 1" larger rim will give me a bit more on height to begin with. SO i'm trying to track down a rim now and i'll let you guys know!

#32 ·
I just purchased a 69 Dart that has an 8 3/4 narrowed 2 in./side,3" inboard kit,15x10 steel wheels w/dog dishes with M/T's 29x12.5x15 sportsmans with stock wheeltubs I am not sure on the backspacing I have yet to bring the car home.There is lots of clearance between the leafs and the wheelwell when I first seen the car I thought for sure it was tubbed I am very happy with the tire width and not having to cut the car up.I would guess this would be the biggest tire you can fit with stock tubs.

#155 ·
still have the dart? i would like to see pictures. i am trying to decide "to mini tub" or not. I'm moving springs in and Diff back approx 1", narrowing rear (not sure how much to cut) trying to fit as much tire (275/60R15 BFG's minimum) as possible without touching lip moldings or jacking up the rear to clear the quarter etc.
sorry if this question has been beat to death.
thanks BBD

#38 ·
'67 Dart. Wheel wells and springs relocated per the tech pages. Inside wheel well massaged and lip trimmed per my photo gallery.

MT 325 / 50 / 15's on 15" x 10" wheels with 7.25" backspacing on a standard width A body rear end will give you 3/4" side clearance. I missed the backspacing by 1/4" therfore I have a strong 1/2" on the outside and a weak 1" on the inside. This is also with Ford Explorer disk brakes.

Tom

#41 ·
MT 325 / 50 / 15's on 15" x 10" wheels with 7.25" backspacing on a standard width A body rear end will give you 3/4" side clearance. I missed the backspacing by 1/4" therfore I have a strong 1/2" on the outside and a weak 1" on the inside. This is also with Ford Explorer disk brakes.

Tom I want to keep my axle stock also and have been wondering about this .Are you saying that you ordered yours 7" and they should have been 7.25" or that you ordered 7.25" and 7.5" would have given you 3/4" on each side.
Thanks

Blair

#42 ·
BIG DOG said:

Tom I want to keep my axle stock also and have been wondering about this .Are you saying that you ordered yours 7" and they should have been 7.25" or that you ordered 7.25" and 7.5" would have given you 3/4" on each side.
Thanks

Blair

I ordered mine 7.5 inch backspace and I should have ordered 7.25. It will still be O.K.
Also, My backspace is for a big late Ford disk brake set up with 2.5" axle flange spacing. A drum will be a little different.

The 13.5" wide M/T actually measures no more than 13.3" with weight on it.

Tom

#43 ·
I'm looking at those new American Racing Vectors for when I finally get my project on the go
front:
15 x 7 with 4 inch backspacing and +6mm offset

rear:
15x 8.5 with 5 inch backspacing and +6mm offset

will these fit? biggest tire I can run?

G
#44 ·
go to www.tirerack.com and they have a chart that gives you the measurement of tire/wheel combo's that fit each particular car and also keep in mind that if your car is not shown useyour imagination....ie...66 dart may not be illustrated but a 74 dart just might be....I dont know that they are too much different for a wheel tire combo....Also, I believe that they also have a chart that says like if you mount a 215-60-15 tire on a 15x8 wheel with this much offset your tire wil be ___ inches tall...pretty good application./.....

#46 ·
Heres mine 67 Dart ..mini tubbed ,,,springs relocated..stretched wheel opening...opening lip removed replaced with steel rod..Wheels Centerline 15 inch / 10 inch wide / 5 inch back space...tires Hoosier 29x15x12...room to go bigger yet .
Maynard

[attachment deleted by admin]

#47 ·
I finally got my rear wheels on the 70 dart today . They fit-------barely.

weld pro stars 15 x 8 w/ 4.5" backspace

MT --ET street 28x 11.5x 15 tires

stock location leafs

outer quarter lip is rolled in.

wheels tubs moved in 2 inches .

I have 1/2" clearance at the tire/ leafs and about 1/2" at the tire / quarter lip .

these would NOT have fit without rolling in that quarter lip.

#48 ·
Anybody use 315/60-15's on a Dart with minitubs and relocated springs? I know they will fit in a Duster but am unsure if they will fit in my Dart.
15x10" rim with 7 1/2 backspacing

#49 ·
HAGENBEASLEY said:
TOM YOUR CAR LOOKS GREAT,HOPE YOUR GOOD ON THOSE MEASUREMENTS BECAUSE IM DOING THE SAME SET UP AND IM GOING OFF YOUR SIZES FOR MY BUILD ,ILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES o----o<>
To state the obvious, get the rear under the car with the brakes before ordering the wheels. 1/4" off on the backspacing is a big deal. After you trinm the lip and go for the body side of the wheel well seam removal, run a /045" grinder along the seam and it almost lays back by itself.

Tom

#51 ·
Hagenbeasley
WELCOME A BOARD
  SO I MAY NEED A LITTLE HELP NOW AND THEN. ANYWAYS I HAVE A COUPLE OF MOPARS  AND I THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE MY TIRE AND WHEEL INFO WITH YOU ,FOR ANYONE THAT IS HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE AGE OLD QUESTION  OF HOW WIDE OF TIRE CAN I RUN ON MY CAR. THIS CAR HAPPENS TO BE A , 72 SCAMP W / A 318. ANYWAYS ON THIS CAR I HAVE TORQ - THRUST II WHEELS I WAS ABLE TO RUN A
16 X 8 REAR WHEEL WITH 4.88 B.S. AND +10 MM OFFSET WITH 245/50/16 ON THE REAR WITHOUT ANY MODS TO THE REAR AT ALL . THE TIRE DIA. IS 25.9 ...
WITH A SEC WIDTH OF 10.3,WHEN MOUNTED UP AND SITTING ON THE GROUND.   I TRIED ABOUT SIX DIFFERNT TIRE / WHEEL COMBOS W/DIFFERENT BACK SPACING AND THIS IS THE WIDEST YOU CAN FIT WITH THIS BACK SPACING ,AND NO I DID NOT HAVE TO ROLL OR CUT THE OUTSIDE LIP AND THEY DO NOT RUB ,EVEN IN A CORNER.
NOW UP FRONT WELL YOU HAVE ALOT OF CHOICES ,I RUN A TORQ - THRUST II  15 X 6 WITH 3.38 B.S. AND - 2 MM OFFSET WITH 195/55/15 ON THE FRONT. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE OUT . I DONT SEE MANY SCAMPS ON THIS SITE ,AM I LOKING IN THE WRONG PLACE ? OR IS THERE MORE SCAMP OWNERS OUT THERE?

BBD          any pics of your car on the ground with your wheels on it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.