Late Big Ford rear disk ideas
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Late Big Ford rear disk ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Late Big Ford rear disk ideas

It's time to buy a rear disk kit for the Dart. I have a Strange S60 and I had them install big Ford late model housing ends with 2.5" brake gap.

I'm lookin for a brake kit with an emergency brake (street car). Strange has a single piston 11" cheapo set with e - brake drum rotors for $385. They have a much nicer set with vented 11.35" rotor for $695 and its still only a single piston and e brake hardware is extra $$.

What do you run for your late big Ford rear disks?

Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Late Big Ford rear disk ideas

If I have the same ends as you... I am running the Ford SVO kit.* I believe it uses the Explorer disc setup.* It was not all the pricey, I think in the 300 dollar range.

Just re-read your post. Mine is more than likely the el-cheapo kit you are referring to. It has the drum parking brake setup. I might upgrade in the future, but it seemed pretty pointless to spend the extra on the back brakes which do not do much of the braking anyway...

Andy
    9 years and counting...

green67cuda

If you get too good of rear braking as compared to the front, you won't be able to balance it out, even with a proportioning valve. If your front brakes are super good, the bigger rears would probably be ok.

This is a precaution/other peoples' experience I ran into when I was disc brake researching for my 68 mustang....which has the same housing ends as you. Me: I stuck with 10x2/12 drums with the possibility of going to 11" drums. Of course the Mustang is more of what works than what would be sweet.

[attachment deleted by admin]

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to get the affordable set from Strange with the mini drum for the e brake. Running 15" rims limits me on selection also.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by b569rr
    I'm going to get the affordable set from Strange with the mini drum for the e brake. Running 15" rims limits me on selection also.

Tom
    Oh I c, now it is the "affordable" set.... haha. Just messing with ya. Personally, I like the drum e-brake design.
    9 years and counting...

Post Thanks / Like

that "affordable" set-up from strange IS the exploder svo kit....fyi...it's the same kit you get from jugs or suckit. **(*)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy68Dart
    Quote Originally Posted by b569rr

Tom
    Oh I c, now it is the "affordable" set.... haha. Just messing with ya. Personally, I like the drum e-brake design.
    Kinda like I'm being frugal instead of cheap.

Thanks slingshot. I didn't know that.

Tom

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b569rr View Post
    It's time to buy a rear disk kit for the Dart. I have a Strange S60 and I had them install big Ford late model housing ends with 2.5" brake gap.

I'm lookin for a brake kit with an emergency brake (street car). Strange has a single piston 11" cheapo set with e - brake drum rotors for $385. They have a much nicer set with vented 11.35" rotor for $695 and its still only a single piston and e brake hardware is extra $$.

What do you run for your late big Ford rear disks?

Tom
    Good luck! Make sure to "buy new bollards" to double up on the protection.