3rd. Generation Hemi/A-Body Stuff - Page 16
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: 3rd. Generation Hemi/A-Body Stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, cool but expensive.

I will collect transmissions now. In opposition to the engine they are quite cheap here.
    I asked in FABO around and some say the Tranny can stand it because there are Supras out for racing with similar power w/o having problems.

I will see what happens....

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

BBD LEGEND
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are some Supra out there turboed and running High HP ###s
    Id say the trans will handle it.

Joe keep me posted on your MS-3. I have an MS-2 running my 500 low deck,
    but I like what I have seen and read of the MS-3 and its fuel and ignition capabilities.

Rick
    2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel - Daily driver, Hauler

1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief - Gen 3 Hemi- Turbocharged, running E85, 1 ton axles,
    4.56 gear on 38" tires - Toy in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    just to be sure:
    A 6.1 from a 2009 SRT8 Charger does not have this MDS & VVT Feature?

How can I check this on the engine when it gets delivered? Engine serial number?

Is there something else how to reconize that it is the above engine? This is new for me, I'm more a small block guy... ;-)

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buschi View Post
    just to be sure:

How can I check this on the engine when it gets delivered? Engine serial number?

Is there something else how to reconize that it is the above engine? This is new for me, I'm more a small block guy... ;-)
    That's correct, the 2009 6.1 does NOT have MDS or VCT. To identify the 6.1 engine (reasonably), it will have the Hemi orange powdercoated block and will have a 6.1L cast into the rear, behind the flywheel and also on the driver side, middle of the block, down low just above the pan rail. If someone tried to fake a 5.7 to be a 6.1, they'd have to spray paint it orange, likely spraying over all the thread bungs, mounting areas, etc that were machined AFTER the block was powdercoated. It would be pretty obvious. All 6.1s have the aluminum, barrel style intake manifold. Stock exhaust manifolds are "shorty" style, tubular manifolds with a stainless, somewhat "clamshell" type outer housing. The Jeep 6.1 manifolds look slightly different than the LX body manifolds.

There's a sticker on the front cover that will have a part number for the engine on it that, if still there, would help you track a little of the engine's background. Also, there's a number engraved just above the pan rail (pass side I think) that could help you track it also.

Good luck with her. If you don't already have it, you'll soon have GenIII Hemi Fever!!!
    My Mopars:
    '69 6.1 Hemi 'Cuda SRT8 (6.1 now a 6.4 "392" by BES Racing Hidden Content )
    '05 5.7 Hemi Ram "Daytona" in "GoManGo" Orange
    '05 4.7 Jeep Grand Chickeree in "Inferno Red"
    '10 5.7 Hemi Challenger R/T "Classic" in "B5 Blue"

"3 Hemis, no waiting!"

Post Thanks / Like
    a little bit off-topic: Is there somewhere a "x-mas / winter sale" to safe some money on the msd and Indy mod man stuff?
    1972 Dodge Dart 340, Toyota Supra 5speed

Post Thanks / Like
    Try this, find an online merchant with the product you wish to buy. Then in a separate window do a search for "coupon code" and the name of the online merchant. This may lead to some on-line coupons that can save you some cash.

Hope this helps,

Joe Dokes

Post Thanks / Like

Bolt-In Radiator

URRRRRRR, I can't find a radiator.

Need some help. I've decided to build an engine test stand. I decided to get my 6.1L Hemi running on the stand before I put it in the car. I planned to buy the ACTUAL radiator that I'd use in the car to use on my test stand. Simple, I'll find a radiator online that will handle the horsepower/cooling requirements and is a direct bolt-in for my car with the inlet and outlet hoses in the correct locations, and brackets for an electric fan. Should be easy, right?

Unfortunately, I can't find what I am looking for.

So for those who've bought an appropriate radiator could you please give me a part number, dimensions or the name of who you bought it from. I need some details, please.

Thanks,

Joe Dokes

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe, I'm going to do the same with mine. I've already built a special dolly that receives my AlterK, engine and transmission already built and ready to slide under the car for install. Now I'm going to make a second set of (bolt on) uprights so I can mount just the engine and trans. Instead of mounting a radiator, I'm just going to make some adapters / reducers to attach a garden hose to the radiator hose (or portion thereof ). This way my dolly doubles as an engine / suspension install tool as well as an engine run stand. I'll probably build a little, remote dash pod of some type to mount guages, ign. and start button...
    Last edited by CudaSRT8; 12-19-2010 at 01:14 PM.
    My Mopars:
    '69 6.1 Hemi 'Cuda SRT8 (6.1 now a 6.4 "392" by BES Racing Hidden Content )
    '05 5.7 Hemi Ram "Daytona" in "GoManGo" Orange
    '05 4.7 Jeep Grand Chickeree in "Inferno Red"
    '10 5.7 Hemi Challenger R/T "Classic" in "B5 Blue"

"3 Hemis, no waiting!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe-Dokes View Post
    URRRRRRR, I can't find a radiator.

Need some help. I've decided to build an engine test stand. I decided to get my 6.1L Hemi running on the stand before I put it in the car. I planned to buy the ACTUAL radiator that I'd use in the car to use on my test stand. Simple, I'll find a radiator online that will handle the horsepower/cooling requirements and is a direct bolt-in for my car with the inlet and outlet hoses in the correct locations, and brackets for an electric fan. Should be easy, right?

Unfortunately, I can't find what I am looking for.

So for those who've bought an appropriate radiator could you please give me a part number, dimensions or the name of who you bought it from. I need some details, please.

Thanks,

Joe Dokes
    Dave Weber from Modernmuscle......Radiator from Northern
    Demon:,6.1HEMI, AlterK,Tri4link,custom cage,pro-touring-built for the curves....not much hasnt been modified

Post Thanks / Like
    rjsjea,

Thanks I'll call Dave. I've been to his site a bunch of times couldn't find a specific price. But I'm sure he'll quote over the phone.

Cuda SRT,

That sounds like a pretty good plan, I like the idea of the cradle.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buschi View Post
    just to be sure:

No 6.1 has MDS or VVT.
    Cary Snyder<br />5.7L Hemi Cuda

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm currently in the same boat after I hauled home a 5.7 Hemi in the back of my '73 Dart yesterday.
    My main concern now is what route to take...; Leave the EFI-stuff on and connect all the 'loose ends' one-by-one, or just ditch all the electronic stuff and go with a simple 4-bbl carb-intake instead. Since it's my daily, I want to keep everything simple and mostly mechanical.
    As an added flavor to the mix, I DO want to drive on LPG (propane), since it's my dailydriver and it's 60% cheaper then regular gasoline.