Big Block Dart Forums banner

Full time rocker oiling modification w/pics

67K views 76 replies 29 participants last post by  famous bob 
#1 ·
I've written before about this modification, but I don't think it means much without pics. This procedure allows for full time oiling to the rocker arms with no loss of flow to the #4 main and #7 rod bearing. It is recommended with fully enclosed rocker arms such as crane gold and factory/isky/crane ductile iron rockers. I would recommend the use of a HV oil pump for rocker arms with needle bearings. I wouldn't use this modification for factory stamped arms.

The first pic marks the spot.
#2. Use a punch to start the drill bit.

#54 ·
andyf said:
I used some of the information from this thread in my book.  I tried to cover this area pretty well since burning up the #6 and #7 rod bearings has been a long time issue with the Mopar big block.  I covered several different ways to oil the valve train including the method of tying the oil passages together that this thread covers so well.  So thanks to the guys on the board that posted this info, hopefully the book gets it into an even wider distribution.

Where do we get this book?

#55 ·
does ano body have the pictures of how to do this? the pictures are not opening for me anymore.

i also like the idea of blocking the cam bearing oil feed holes. the valvetrain pushes the cam down, & it looks to me like it would cause a small oil leak between the cam & the bearing. it wouldn't be much i know, but over time it would just get bigger as the cam settles into the cam beaings. i also think it might be worth plugging the oil feed holes in the cam for the same reason.

#58 ·
no no no, i wasn't meaning restricting oil to the cam bearing, i was talking about actually plugging the oiling holes in the camshaft itself. making that journal just like the other four on the cam with no holes (although i probably won't because i would be worried they would back out & screw up all kinds of stuff). then offsetting the cam bearing so that the oiling holes for the heads don't line up with the holes in the block, even if it means having to drill a new hole for the cam bearing to get oil onto the cam journal.

I got the block drilled tonight, it was pretty easy. The hardest part was tapping the holes for the plugs. I drilled the oil passage that connects the two passages to .125" & the holes for the plugs ended up being .250".

#59 ·
i don't think plugging the cam journal will have any effect, favorable or unfavorable. The modification effectively ends oil passing through the journal because pressure is now equalized at all three holes.

I think you'll be pleased with the results of the modification.

Keep us posted.

#62 ·
oiling mods

I didn`t catch all this info and pics, when I posted about plugging the cam journal ( which would be no trick at all) with the incoming ext. feed lines.
I like this method presented by the teacher so well, I went out and tore my 505 back down to do the mods to it. (still on the eng. stand) will prbably drill w/ a .125 bit, then go w/ a 1/8" pipe plug to close it off. wiil do the drilling and tapping monday, then it`s clean up time again.------------------------------thanks teach!
bob

#66 · (Edited)
oh tay, go get 2 1/8" allen head set screws. normally they are 1/4" x 20tpi. drill the correct size hole so you can tap them for the set screw. drill into the main oil gallery all the way into the oil feed to the head. be careful to line the bit up as the oil feed isn't always were it's suppose to be. check out the hole at the right side deck. tap the first hole in each side. blow out all the chips. loc-tite the set screws in. now you can do one of three things. leave the oil feed to the heads as is, turn the cam bearing up-side down and redrill the hole from the main bearing or drill and tap the oil feed at the deck and install a 1/8" pipe plug. I don't leave it as is as I like the full oil flow to the main bearing. right click and open the pic for a bigger view.

Attachments

#67 ·
oiling hole-mods

I did this mod., had an 1/8" oiling hole to each head, w/ high volume pump it sucked an 8 qt pan dry in about 20 something seconds, on the engine stand-prelubing w/ a drill. then restricted the holes down to about .042 , still seems to be a lot of oil to the rockers, but it doesn`t suck the pan dry. hughs said he thot
.o10 w/ be enough -FYI ------bob

#74 ·
maybe i misunderstood but seems like you said it did here

I did this mod., had an 1/8" oiling hole to each head, w/ high volume pump it sucked an 8 qt pan dry in about 20 something seconds, on the engine stand-prelubing w/ a drill. then restricted the holes down to about .042 , still seems to be a lot of oil to the rockers, but it doesn`t suck the pan dry. hughs said he thot
.o10 w/ be enough -FYI ------bob
have you given any thought to changing to a high pressure pump or at least changing the spring to one as some times shimming doesn't work the way it should.

#69 ·
oil mods

Does anyone have the pics that show how all this is done? They wont open and I want to do this to my engine.
I did this and have an idleing hot (running temp.) oil pressure problem. I installed a couple of home made pills w/ .024 holes in them in each side in the block, right under neath the rocker arms. had a friend make them on his lathe (before i got mine) and they came out a little too small, probably contributes to the low oil pressure at hot - idle. have a high volume oil pump-single line swinging p/u-7 qt pan have shimmed the oil pump spring w/ a.058 s.s. shim , helped a little , installed another .058 shim and haven`t restarted it yet. thinking about remaking the pills to fit tighter, but drilling the holes w/ a bit that small was a pain. now that I have a small lathe it should be very easy. -ANYONE GOT ANY comments on the restrictor hole size ????dave at hughs recommended about .008-.010 per side afew months back. all comments appreciated----bob

#76 ·
Just curious BOB, but how did this mod all pan out? Did you sort it out? I am trying to decide which way to go myself with roller bearing T & D rockers. I have drilled the cross over gallery to .125" & was going to drill & rotate the cam bearing but I'm getting the impression that I will need to restrict the oil to the rockers a bit more than the .125" .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.