My Cuda (Update) - Page 5
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: My Cuda (Update)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blue44067 View Post
    qkcuda, your car sounds great in that track video, leaves fast too! If you don't mind, what Hedman headers did you use?
    They were 1 3/4 Hedman B Body headers. I think the number is 78030, but I'm going by memory here. They only work with the low blocks, 383 or 400. Some clearancing is needed but not that bad.

2. Thanksblue44067 thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qkcuda View Post
    Here is a pic of my 68 Formula S notch that appeared in Musclecar Review many moons ago. Next is the current 69 when I first brought it home, and the original 318 powerhouse.
    Your '69 318 Cuda was really a clean/nice car!! It looks very straight and in good shape too. It would have killed me to take it apart but that's just me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RR6BBL1969 View Post
    Your '69 318 Cuda was really a clean/nice car!! It looks very straight and in good shape too. It would have killed me to take it apart but that's just me.
    I actually cleaned it up and drove it for a couple of years, but trust me it wasn't very exciting with the worn out 318 and trans. I didn't lose any sleep over doing the drivetrain swap, or the suspension work. I ran about every size of smallblock in my old cars, so I really wanted to try a big block. It is now a lot of fun to drive. My original plans called for body and paint, but the more I drive the more I think I will leave the body as is. Kind of a cross between a survivor and a rat rod.

6. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually cleaned it up and drove it for a couple of years, but trust me it wasn't very exciting with the worn out 318 and trans. I didn't lose any sleep over doing the drivetrain swap, or the suspension work. I ran about every size of smallblock in my old cars, so I really wanted to try a big block. It is now a lot of fun to drive. My original plans called for body and paint, but the more I drive the more I think I will leave the body as is. Kind of a cross between a survivor and a rat rod.
    I agree and good for you! If you get enjoyment from it then by all means do it. Life is way too short to sit on the sideline.

BBD LEGEND
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

You have done a great job with this Cuda. I really like your Cuda alot. Ron
    My car , 63 Sport Fury Max Wedge wanna be pump gas street car......10.76 @ 124.49 ! ! My page on the 62-65 Mopar site...Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I got a fair bit of work done on the weekend. Installed the new 3.55 center section by myself, with the help of my trusty floor jack. Reinstalled the axles and driveshaft. Two of the retaining bolts for the u-joint straps were a bit loose when I took them off, so they got a good shot of lock tite and a good tightening. I also noticed one of the wheel studs was a bit loose (screw in bolt type) so I snugged them all up. I am going to have to keep an eye on these in the future. I also installed the new Hughes engines locking trans dipstick. Like everthing else on the car it didn't fit the first time. The stock one had about a 3 inch mounting bracket, and the new one was less than an inch long. I had to make up a small bracket to extend it and bend the tube away from the firewall a bit. Man it is tight space to work in with fat fingers.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a nice Cuda man its kinda what I thought my car would turn out like but things change

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy to report an update. My buddies convinced me to go to the Mopar show at St Thomas Dragway on the weekend, a 1 hour and 45 minute drive, and I'm glad I did. The car ran great on the way down, so I decided to race it. They all drove their cars about the same distance and raced as well. I have been after my first 11 second time slip. I bolted on the slicks, removed the stock air cleaner lid and put on my open one. Because the pits were grass, I decided not to even crawl underneath and drop the exhaust. The result:

BEST ET 11.78 BEST MPH 115.06

To say I was happy would be an understatement. Not only that, I went 4 rounds in eliminations and ended up with semi-final gas money. There was a track photographer who had taken pictures so I bought one. Hopefully the quality is OK as I had to scan the print.

The first picture is from 2008 at Cayuga with the 400 in the car. The second picture is from this weekend. Sure is launching a lot harder. ( I offered the photographer extra cash if he could find one with air under the tires, but no luck) The 60 foot times were right around 1.65 every run. I'm going to have to change my signature pic.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by qkcuda; 06-17-2013 at 01:22 PM.

12. Thanksroccodart446 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you had a blast and glad the weather held out for you. Car looks like it is working great! Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!! Gratz man the car looks like it hooked up good so close to lifting that tire

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice timeslip
    69 dodge Dart GT. 440. 950 carb. Auto with RPVB & GVOD. Dana w/4.56 gears. MSD Digital 6. TTI 2" headers. 3" exhaust. Peak Dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. It was a blast. I just checked back and my previous 60 foot times with the 3.23's were 1.80, now with the 3.55's they are 1.65. That's actually more of an improvement than I thought I would see. No wonder it felt like it was leaving harder. I'll have to get it out again soon for some more testing.
    Last edited by qkcuda; 06-18-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I raced at Mopar Day at Cayuga on the weekend, and a buddy got a picture of the car leaving. The suspension and tires appear to be working well, but I still can't see air under the front wheels. We ran into a pretty stiff headwind all day, but it died down on my last run and I ran an 11.84 at 114.6, so almost the same as at St Thomas.
    Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I raced at Mopar Day at Cayuga on the weekend, and a buddy got a picture of the car leaving. The suspension and tires appear to be working well, but I still can't see air under the front wheels. We ran into a pretty stiff headwind all day, but it died down on my last run and I ran an 11.84 at 114.6, so almost the same as at St Thomas.
    Car looks good! My buddy Carm was up there as well with his 67 Black Dart, he actually ended up 3rd overall. You guys must have been in the same class as he was running the same numbers. Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrew, I saw your buddy's car, very clean. We were in the same class, but we never raced each other. It was a blast as usual. We have to get you out sometime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrew, I saw your buddy's car, very clean. We were in the same class, but we never raced each other. It was a blast as usual. We have to get you out sometime.
    Agreed! I left on Business travel that day or I would have made the trip.

Post Thanks / Like

gears

Quote Originally Posted by mrpatel View Post
    Agreed! I left on Business travel that day or I would have made the trip.
    wonder what it would do w/ a 3:90 rear gear?-----bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by famous bob View Post
    wonder what it would do w/ a 3:90 rear gear?-----bob
    I agree there is probably a lot of ET I'm leaving on the table, but this is a good compromise for street and strip. I had a 3.91 gear in it and it was breaking down at the top end of the quarter. The actual problem turned out to be weak valve springs, but I am still happy with the change.

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend just sent me a link to another pic someone posted from the race.
    Attached Images

BBD LEGEND
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

The last two pics look great ! I love the burnout pic. Ron
    My car , 63 Sport Fury Max Wedge wanna be pump gas street car......10.76 @ 124.49 ! ! My page on the 62-65 Mopar site...Hidden Content
    Hidden Content